Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mano_verde

Need advice on lights for growing tomatoes

mano_verde
17 years ago

Hi everybody. I promess I did a couple of searches before posting, but I'm affraid most of the treads are way beyond my current level of understanding on the subject. I'm trying to grow tomatoes in my apartment, and the light here is absolutely insufficient. I'm trying to find out an INEXPENSIVE way to supply them with light, and found this:

Coralife 20W Mini Fluorescent 50/50: This bulb enhances freshwater and saltwater aquariums. It is 50% 10000k and 50% actinic 03 blue. It has a high-intensity output with low operating temperature. It is a 20 watt self-ballasted compact fluorescent lamp that fits a standard medium base. The lamp equals a 100 watt incandescent lamp and has a 6,000 hour life.

They cost $10. Do you know if it is possible to have a reasonable success in completing the whole cycle from seed to tomatoe with one or two of this lamps (I'm thinking in just a couple of plants)? do you have any better suggestion? I would be willing to pay some more money if necessary, but definitely not into those $80 and up HPS or MH bulbs that require complex fixtures with separate ballasts.

Comments (2)