Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josie13_gw

When can plants be weaned from grow lights?

josie13
13 years ago

Hi, I've searched these forums again and again when I have questions and have found lots of useful information in old posts. I'm sure this has been asked before but I've had a hard time locating a thread with a clear response to my question.

My first question is about how long before I can wean my plants off the grow lights, as in when they no longer need to be under the lights 16 hrs a day. My last frost date here in my area (hudson valley, NY) is April 24th. In the daytime the weather here varies between 50-65.

I just started a 2nd batch of tomato seedlings and they should germinated in a day or 2 on the mat. My first batch have been under the lights for 5 days or so, and I can see that they are just starting to develop small first true leaves. I plan to repot those when the true leaves are a bit bigger because there are 2-3 seedlings per cell.

I've read various threads on repotting- but I really am a little confused about when I should repot the tomatoes- can I repot as soon as they develop a true leaf or 2?

I have set up 2 lights, I will be getting more because I will definitely not have enough room for all these seedlings once they're re-potted. What size must they be before you can start acclimating them to less fluorescent light and more natural outdoor light?

I have started cabbage/kale/cauliflower/broccoli too- when can I wean them off the grow lights? Ack, this should be obvious but I'm just a little overwhelmed right now and I would like some advice/info from more knowledgeable seed starters.

Is hardening off the process of weaning seedlings off grow lights?

Comments (4)