Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
odomonster

Type and sizing of lights

Odomonster
10 years ago

Good day.

I'm new to gardening inside and would like some input. Just want something to do and throw money at; as well as have some fresh veggies. I live in an apartment with no good area for sunlight to shine on my plants. I've been reading lots of articles on lighting for indoor gardens and what type of lighting (HID or Fluorescent) and how to size lighting to what you're growing. Most articles I've read try to size bulb wattage by the square footages you plan on growing in. Then I've also read that you should base sizing off of lumens or CRI or PAR.

I plan on having two areas that are 2' by 6'. One area I plan on growing flowering plants such as bell peppers and cucumbers. In the other section I plan on growing leafy greens, onions, and maybe some herbs. I've read that Fluorescents with warm and cool bulbs would be sufficient for leafy greens, onions, and herbs and that HID (swapping between MH and HPS) would be better suited for the flowering plants. I do not plan on transplanting since I have no where to transplant.

Any suggestions on type and wattages of lights for what I plan on doing would be much appreciated. Also if you have preference on brands of equipment that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks, Chris

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations