Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Type and sizing of lights

Posted by Odomonster FL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 16:25

Good day.

I'm new to gardening inside and would like some input. Just want something to do and throw money at; as well as have some fresh veggies. I live in an apartment with no good area for sunlight to shine on my plants. I've been reading lots of articles on lighting for indoor gardens and what type of lighting (HID or Fluorescent) and how to size lighting to what you're growing. Most articles I've read try to size bulb wattage by the square footages you plan on growing in. Then I've also read that you should base sizing off of lumens or CRI or PAR.

I plan on having two areas that are 2' by 6'. One area I plan on growing flowering plants such as bell peppers and cucumbers. In the other section I plan on growing leafy greens, onions, and maybe some herbs. I've read that Fluorescents with warm and cool bulbs would be sufficient for leafy greens, onions, and herbs and that HID (swapping between MH and HPS) would be better suited for the flowering plants. I do not plan on transplanting since I have no where to transplant.

Any suggestions on type and wattages of lights for what I plan on doing would be much appreciated. Also if you have preference on brands of equipment that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks, Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Type and sizing of lights

Don't forget about ventilation 2x6foot area with MH/HPS will increase the temperature and probably cook he plants.

I think the suggested wattage is 30-40w per foot. So 2*6=12*30=360~watts that seems about right but I'm not sure someone else can verify.

You can go lower (1/2?) on the herb's.

o
RE: Type and sizing of lights

Thanks for the input Newguy27. That's what I've been seeing in most of the articles I've been reading. I just wanted to run it by some people that have been doing this for awhile and have experience in the subject not just technical or probable knowledge without testing. Once again thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here