Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
beginner question

Posted by winnjoe MB (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 4, 05 at 16:43

I've read several posts but realize I am woefully ignorant of lighting issues. Which would be better: Phillips F40T12 Plant&Aquarium 40watt, or Verilux wide spectrum F40VLX/WS? Thanks, Joe, Winnipeg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: beginner question

Depends what you want to use them for. Neither bulb is cheap. I suspect you can do better for a lot less money.

If you want a wide spectrum high-CRI bulb to mimic sunlight then look at the GE Chroma 50 or 75, or even a Daylight Deluxe such as the one from Sylvania. There are plenty of similar bulbs but not any better and they cost more. The Verilux is an overpriced triphosphor and the spectrum just isn't so great. I'd love to tell you more but I just can't find any reliable information on this bulb. If you just want some blue light to mix with other lights then almost any 6500K (or 5000K, or 7500K) bulb will do.

The Philips Plant & Aquarium is one of those "blue and red makes purple" bulbs, although its actually just a funny pinky shade of white. Sorry, I don't have any detailed specs for the bulb, just inferring from what it looks like and a small amount of published information. If that's what you want then compare prices with the Sylvania Gro-Lux Wide Spectrum, which also has the funny pink look (some people say oraange or purple, but nowhere near as purple as the original Gro Lux). Personally, I don't think this type of bulb is any better than a generic cool/warm combination, certainly not enough to justify the cost.

Lastly, if money is no object then buy a Metal Halide, good spectrum and lots of light. They are easy to find starting at about 100W and would be far better than fluorescents for producing high light intensity over a small area.

o
RE: beginner question

Thanks Shrubs_n_Bulbs. Money is a concern. I mentioned those two bulbs because the first was recommended by the guy at Home Depot, and the second at the 'garden centre'. I'm going to look around here for what you suggest and see what they have. Joe, Winnipeg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here