Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Supposedly even better than LED

Posted by jon_z6b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 17:31

Has anyone used the luxim plasma bulb to grow plants with yet?
http://www.straylightoptical.com/seashine/seashinepreliminarybrochure.pdf

'Higher Photosynthetic Active Radiation (PAR)
Provides 180% higher PAR values than 10,000 K
400W metal halide aquarium lights and up to
500% higher PAR than standard metal halides
(see Power Distribution Graph).'

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Supposedly even better than LED

They may grow plants better than LED but what does that say about LED when Anyone can get 15,000 lumens from 200w with T12 fluorescent. Unless I'm mistaken the article says it takes 290w to get 15,000 lumens. Where is the benefit besides being small so you can use thousands of watts to cover an aquarium?

o

According to the movie on plasma lamps that I'm providing a link to,
LED's get 70 lumens/watt
Fluorescent 80 lumens/watt
Incandescent 15 lumens/watt
Plasma bulb 140 lumens/watt

Also notice the spectral output....

Here is a link that might be useful: plasma lamp

o

The PDF says 290w and 15000 lumens. 15000/290=51 lumens per watt. Someone is Bonkers. Why don't they show the light powered up without the cover on the video? I'll believe it when I see it in person.

o

I looked that up a while back...
This is still a bulb that's has a lot of room to grow. Although the bulb technology is great, the microwave emitors needed to make it go is not so efficient...

It's 140 lumens/watt at bulb. Unfortunately, once you add the microwave emitor and power adaptor needed to fit it into your standard wall socket, it drops quite a lot... take for example, the LIFI-STA-41-02 that's built for growing/aquarium applications. It runs on 28V (DC) & 9.5A (thats 266 input Watts) and outputs 15,300 lumens. Crank the numbers and you get only a little over 57 lumens/watt. Now add an adaptor to make it work with your 120V AC wall socket and it's just not so good any more...

It'll be interesting to see how far they can take this technology though.

Here is a link that might be useful: luxim site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here