Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
femmefeline1

Newbie having trouble with growlights

femmefeline1
17 years ago

ok, Dont really know anything about gardening but eager to start. I bought some nice growlights and started some seeds in those little plastic seed starter kits and those are coming along nicely. However, I also had some bulbs I wanted to start indoors before transplanting and nothing is happening. I have the growlights running 24/7 so I thought maybe (because they are in the basement) that there wasnt enough heat to help them get started. I tried enclosing them in some clear rubbermaid tubs under the lights to create a litte humidity (terrarium style is what I was aiming for). It seemed to help just a little, I am getting a couple of single skinny stalks starting to peek out, but for the majority nothing is working? I dont know what to do to turn these skinny stalks into nicely growing plants. And for the others...Is it too late? Have I killed these bulbs before they even had a chance? Or are there any suggestions? Please help. I have a 25x25 area in the backyard I want to prep and would like to have something nice to transplant there once it is ready.

Thanks

Michelle

Comments (6)

• watergal
    17 years ago

What kind of bulbs are you growing?

• femmefeline1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Watergal

I have some Oriental Lillies, some Day Lillies, Gladiolus, Astilbe, Crinum, Dutch Irises, Montbretia, Erectum Trillum, and Hostas. Hostas are the only ones actually thriving. The Astilbe, Erectum, and the Dutch Iris are the ones with skinny thread like little growths. Are these the beginnings of lush plants, because if they are, they are sure foolin' me.

• femmefeline1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

By the way, I have just been scanning over some of the other posts and come across things like halogens and lumens, watts and CFLs, foot candles, and lux. I have no idea what any of that is. I thought I'd just by some lights, put plants under 'em and the rest would take care of itself. I think maybe I am in over my head here.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    17 years ago

Post a picture of your setup. It will be easier to say what you may need.

dcarch

• yayachilly
    17 years ago

I am also a newbie, but have been having great success with my grow lights. Although people have been having problems with them, as indicated in the walmart light post, I purchased my grow lights at Walmart and have had no problems. Purchase a 48" flourescent light fixture for about $7. Then two plant/aquarium lights (48") for $5 each. I bought a folding "card" table for about $25, but any table will do. Be sure to start your seeds or bulbs (peat pots work great as they go right in the ground) on a plastic tray, wrap plastic wrap over top and secure with scotch tape. Set these trays on top of the fridge (nice and warm). Check often to see if seedlings have started to sprout. Transfer sprouted pots to an empty tray and place under grow light set up. As seedlings grow larger, adjust light farther away...I know you are probably past all this, and just need help with the light situation, but I thought I had it down to a system pretty good! Anyhow, very important to get (plant /aquarium) lights!

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

Anyhow, very important to get (plant /aquarium) lights!

Apparently not since my plants grow fine under regular fluorescents.