Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arrick_gw

Transplanting started Forget-me-Nots outdoors

arrick
19 years ago

I'm introducing forget-me-nots to my bulb garden for the first time this year, so I started the seeds under lights. Only problem is, in a spurt of enthusiasm I started them about a month early. They're about 8 weeks old already, and about 3-4 inches tall, and I'm wondering how well these might fare outdoors if they're transplanted now. Problem is, we can expect freezing temperatures still for at least another month in my area and frost until at least the end of April, so I don't know how hardy these guys are. But I've heard some people say that some of these that start growing outdoors naturally in fall will even overwinter without a problem. So just wondering if I should risk it outdoors, or risk them getting too big and overcrowded (or even start blooming!) indoors.

Comments (4)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    19 years ago

Hmm, Forget-me-Nots is the name of several completely unrelated species of plant, all with similar blue flowers (plus some pink or white varieties). Perhaps you mean the small annual/biennial ones that grow to about 6" high, although they aren't bulbs. They are certainly hardy down to 10F or so, but you would have to introduce them to cool temperatures gradually. Plants grown outdoors should be hardy right through your winter.

• arrick
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sorry - I should have been more specific - the species of forget-me-not is myosotis sylvatica. These were started from seed under lights - no they're not bulbs, but I'm planning on using them as a ground cover against my bulbs. (Have a bunch of daffodils, tulips) So I was hoping I could get these guys blooming at the same time as the tulips by starting them indoors a bit early. But I think I may have started them a bit too early anyway!

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    19 years ago

These are very hardy. Put them outside somewhere sheltered at first. Or put them out just during the afternoon for a few days, then for longer. You can always bring them in at night if it is forecast to be really cold. After a few weeks, you should consider them hardened off and then plant them out.

Is your soil thawed yet? I'm not sure how many flowers you'll get this spring, they tend to grow during late summer and autumn to flower in the spring. I have never tried growing them inside, maybe that will give them enough start to flower this May. They will self seed and you'll never get rid of them :) They flower in my garden with the latest tulips and for a whole afterwards.

• tropicanarama
    19 years ago

I'm in Chicago, and I definitely wouldn't do it yet. Chicago has a pretty consistent history of temps at or below freezing until at least April 1, and frequently gets freezes right through May Day. They could possibly die of shock- either because they're so young, or because they may not be able to thrive in such a cold temp at that stage of maturity.

Better to transplant them into the biggest, deepest peat pots you can find, adjust your lights, maybe take them out on warm days, and don't harden them off until at least April 15 at the absolute earliest. April 21 would be even better. According to weather.com it looks like lows won't be consistently above 45 until then.

If you are really dead set on doing it, though, there are two plants that are called Forget-Me-Nots, from different genera - Cynoglossum and Myosotis. If what you have is a Cynoglossum, then they're far less hardy and you'd really be pushing it for the plant - it'd be far less likely to succeed. Myosotis is hardy to 3b.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz