Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluetruck99

fluro end caps

bluetruck99
19 years ago

i have some fluro ballasts that i found while cleaning my grandfathers house after he died, but thats all they are is ballasts. i am pretty handy wit a soldering iron if i could find some endcaps for fluros and bend myself a reflector i'd be in buisness. where can i ger just the endcaps for (i believe) 4' fluros? thanks ~R

Comments (11)

• gawdly
    19 years ago

Blue-

How many end caps would you be needing? I have at least 4 endcaps that I'll never use. E-mail me and we'll work something out.

Sam

• bluetruck99
    Original Author
    19 years ago

i should have mentioned- these are brand new in box, i have no idea where they came from (why he had them), but im 99% sure they work. i prefer to solder and heatshrink all electrical connections in harsh environments (such as lights next to seedlings im watering) and it isnt worth it to buy the grease connectors. i have a bunch of lights already, some from HD some from lowes, but i have free ballasts i'd like to use (you can never have too much seed starting area). i grew 800+ heirloom tomatoes last year on the light rack i built.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    19 years ago

Make sure you match the ballasts to the correct tubes, otherwise you'll just be wasting more electricity than you saved with the free ballasts :)

• gawdly
    19 years ago

Want those endcaps, or what?

• zink
    19 years ago

"Endcap" is a term used by some hobbyists - aquarium enthusiasts in specific. Other "hobbyist-electricians" may use the term socket, or lampholder.

Based on a years worth of constant dialogue in this forum, I would have to say that Sam knows EXACTLY what he is referring to, as do the others who have been following our discussions here.

We have posted diagrams, photographs, and very thorough information about our electrical projects here. We have also published data/results about current consumption and lumen changes using the various lamp/ballast combinations we have experimented with.

Some people seem to have recently shown up in this forum who have obviously missed a tremendous amount of our previous dicussions in the last year, and unfortunately are misinterpreting the level of knowledge we have been sharing here.

I have been a bit reluctant to join some of the more recent conversations here, as there is just too much overconfident misinformation being given out here to bother correcting.

Many of our past posts are have been too long gone to be read now, but it would have been helpful had we created a FAQ from the information.

By the way, using electronic ballasts to overdrive by a factor of 2 does NOT use an excessive amount of current. The ODx2 lumen/watt ratio is barely more than Normal Operation - easily as efficient as a T12 with a magnetic ballast.

If need be, I have consumption data(home tested) from hundreds of different combinations of ballasts driving nearly EVERY fluorescent lamp type/wattage available - T5's, T8's, T12's, TT's(aka BIAX, PL-L, Dulux L), 2D's, CFL's. Many people here have custom-built ALL kinds of fixtures during the last year.

Hang out here for another year or so. You might fill some holes in your freelance electrician knowledge, especially concerning the current capabilities of electronic ballasts. (not to mention finding out what SAM really knows)

Zink

• lightmaster
    19 years ago

QUOTE:"i have some fluro ballasts that i found while cleaning my grandfathers house after he died, but thats all they are is ballasts. i am pretty handy wit a soldering iron if i could find some endcaps for fluros and bend myself a reflector i'd be in buisness. where can i ger just the endcaps for (i believe) 4' fluros? thanks ~R"

Buy them over at home depot or Lowes for 0.90 a pair. They are right next to where the ballasts are sold.

-j-

• jkirk3279
    19 years ago

I have to say, I'm amazed.

You'd think that someone like zink, who's contributed so much, helped so many people, and always provided accurate information would be immune to flame attacks like this.

Guess not. This is the second time it's happened in the last six months, if I recall correctly.

And just for the record: A 'troll' is defined in terms of an outsider coming into an established forum and picking a fight.

Think about it.

P.S. -- Hey, Spike, -- you listening, buddy?

• bobb_2002
    19 years ago

If the ballasts are old and heavy they are magnetic ballasts which are not very efficient. It would be cheaper to buy new shoplights with electronic ballasts because you will save a lot of money in electricity costs over the life of the fixture.

Bob

• gawdly
    19 years ago

I was going to refer to them as tombstones, if it makes you feel better, Zinker...

Good to see you're still around.

Sam

• oldbill
    19 years ago

Hi Team, I'm new to this subject and am wondering what the rules are for greenhouse lighting using fluoros. Is there a formulae for Watts/m2 and the tube colour?
    I am from a different country, so don't understand what the T5, T8, etc,etc means???
    Any help will be appreciated.

cheers
    Bill

• pickwick
    19 years ago

just visiting....Icecap Inc. sells water resistant endcaps/standoffs(T-5;T8;T12)click-on 'all products'(left margin)
    http://www.icecapinc.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: link to the above