Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LED for seedlings

Posted by niftynabber z5 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 18:03

I've read through most of the other threads about LED grow lights, but I still have a few questions, go figure! :)

I only want to grow seedlings for my outside garden. I'm not planning on growing tall, leafy, mature, fruit baring plants inside.

From what I've read here, Red light is for growing, Blue is for flowering/fruit baring. For seedlings, I should concentrate of getting a red LED fixture, or should I get the red/blue mix?

Also, from what I've read here, the longer I plan on growing a plant, (tall, leafy, mature, fruit baring) the better the fixture, hence, more expensive. But as I said, I'm just growing seedlings, can I get away with a cheaper fixture? I can get a 14w, 135 red 660nm, 30 blue 30nm, 30 orange 610nm, 30 white full spectrum (or so they say).

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LED for seedlings

1) You have the colors backwards - red is for blooming

2) A 14 watt panel will only cover a square foot, maybe 14" square

3) For half the cost of one LED panel, you can buy two shop lights and ~16 sq. ft. They will also do a better job.

4) To cover the same area (16 sq. ft.) will cost you about $8 per growing year (two months) more for electricity using shop lights. But buying six LED panels will set you back about $250.

If you are stuck on LEDs, look into something like a 125-watt panel that allows you to control the amount of red and blue. Or wait a couple of years until they are actually ready for prime time!

Mike

o

Yeah, I'm set up with 4' flo's now, and will probably stay with them since I already got 'em.

But is my thinking correct? If you're only growing seedlings, wouldn't you want more blue than red LEDs?

o

Yes, way more. I tried an experiment a couple of years ago, growing basil under all red, all blue, and red and blue LEDs. The all red fell over - stems so weak and long they could not support a couple of leaves. The red/blue were okay, but rather leggy. The all blue were great.

Mike

o

My experience with a 14 watt panel is that it is all most useless. Not enough light. A 48 watt unit works for me if not too big an area, like a foot square and 6 inches above.

o

I think I'm staying with my 4' fluor's. But I'm interested in the idea of blue light to promote leave growth. I noticed that the blue fluor. compacto mini-spiral bulbs (13w) aren't quite as brite, as the whiter light bulbs. Will the blue still be benefitional? They get pretty hot too!

o

People on another forum have tried the actinic 10,000k bulbs and have stated they will burn plants being close enough to provide sufficient light. I'm not willing to test that theory.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here