Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
type of light i should use)?

Posted by friscomole 10B (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 18:19

i have been trying to plant out side for months i have been using my jiffy 72 count green house it works great 99% growing my problem is after they grow
in about a week there 8-9 inches long stringy ,skinny and they dont make there true leafs once they grow i use a plant light Agro-lite BR30 75W

am growing or trying to grow cucumbers and tomato plants just cant seem to get them out doors

Is it my lights?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: type of light i should use)?

Your post is a bit unclear, are you growing outside or inside? If inside, that weak light is the problem. Plants are thin and leggy because they are stretching for light... Even if they werent, 75w is way too little to even grow one decent cucumber plant.

Want some real results? Grab a 600w hps with a full spectrum vertical bulb, put treillises on the walls and grow your cukes that way. In a 10X10 room with 2 of these, i can grow about 15 indeterminate tomatoes, 15 cucumber plants, without using more then the width of the totes, or about 1.5 foot all around. That leaves the majority of the space free for other crops. Layer them in a stadium type shape and youll be amazed at how much can be produced indoors!

o

I think that tomatoes require a cooler temperature part of the day so they don't desiccated up. Anything over 80F is not good for the flowers. Try lowering to the 60's at night and heater during the day. You might get better growth then.

o

Anyone interested in used 350W metal halide high bay lights. Very reasonably priced.

email me

timh@ppe-us.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here