Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Petunias not germinating

Posted by gardengalkc 5 B (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 18:41

I started 3 varieties of petunia: picobella; Limbo Violet and Tidal Wave Cherry Hybrid. They are not germinating very well. We were gone for a week (they were inside a plastic bag, on heat pad and close to lights). When I realized they were not doing well I soaked the tray. I couldn't see anything else to do. Any suggestions? Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Petunias not germinating

7 days is long enough for a seed to sprout and die from damping off or cook from excess heat. We need more info.
What soil?
How old are the seeds?
What kind if lights?
What kind of heat pad?
How deep did you plant the seeds?
What was ambient temps?

o
RE: Petunias not germinating

Thanks for your response. Sorry it took so long to reply. One of the petunia's is picobella. Purchased this year put under flourescent lights. They might have been too far away from light. The heat pad is for germinating and the temp is about 74. The seeds should have been surface sown but I noticed that the soil washed a little. I will appreciate your response. Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here