o
which light would you recommend?

Posted by blaferby CA zone 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 11, 11 at 19:02

In a 4' fluorescent tube, would you recommend:

1) 2250 lumens, 5000K, 90CRI.
OR
2) 3050 lumens, 6500K, 75CRI.

as the preferable light for indoor seedlings.

Related question: My new shoplight fixtures have 12" wide white reflectors. What if I lined the reflectors with aluminum foil? How would that be?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which light would you recommend?

I'd choose #2

o

I have always used the 40watt 4100 lumens so after reading here last night I went out and got 4 T8 bulbs two warm white and two cool white, two were 6500k and the others 3000k. They are supposed to be 30% brighter than my 40watts. I wasnt happy with mine if anything they put out less light. I took mine back and will stick with my ole 40watts and pay the few pennies more and get the brightness.

I would like to know thought where the member above got their 12" wide reflectors , cant seem to find that here. only 7" wide reflectors here.

o

Ever heard of ONDO lighting? Basically, you get two cheap shop light fixtures, grab just the ballast from the second and use it in the first along with the original to drive just one fixture. Bulbs probably wont last as long, but they'll be 1.75x brighter^^;

There's an aquarium life website that has diy projects that explains it. Keep in mind, I haven't tried this--so use at your own risk.

By the way, I'd choose the second of those two. Personally, I think it is all about lumens with this sort of light situation--the more the better.

For flowing I think the duration of the light cycle would be more influential than the spectrum, but that's just a guess really.

o

• Posted by DBA1954 6 - Buffalo area (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 13:51

try the Hydrofarm T5HO 54W 4ft 8 bulb commercial fixtures. The put out 40,000 lumens at 432 watts, can't beat it. Good for about 5 flats ....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here