Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toytemptations

grow lighting

toytemptations
10 years ago

My oldest son moved out a couple years ago and I am using his room as my seed starter room. I'm currently looking into lighting since the sunlight this season doesn't seem to be good enough.

I was considering getting the regular sized growth bulbs to put into the existing ceiling fan, but see that would be bad, causing the seedlings to be more leggy and not as likely to survive. I read several of the previous posts, but became overwhelmed by them. This is only the 3rd year in my attempt to garden, so have been experimenting with what will work best in the areas I have. Each year, trying to improve.

I would like to keep the initial start-up costs under $100 if possible, but have no idea where to start. Any suggestions for a specific set up? Something I can expand on each year?

Thanks
Samantha

Comments (3)

• toytemptations
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm growing a variety of things (herbs, veggies, and fruits). Things that I can actually use in my cooking, as well as what my youngest son (12 yrs) will eat. I know that depending on the plant, also helps to determine how much lighting is needed. I looking for something that could be a general purpose. I listed some of the plants below. Once the risk of a freeze is past, the plants would be put outside in areas that gets about 8-12 hours of direct sun or partial as required by the plant.

I am having to use raised / table type beds this year outside due to neighborhood cats. Hoping that will help with them. Tried several things last year, with no success.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you can give.
    Samantha

strawberries
    okra
    pumpkin
    oregano
    cumin
    mint
    yellow crooked neck squash
    tomato
    green peppers
    jalapeno peppers
    lemon balm ( hoping to help ward off the mosquitoes)
    egg plant
    watermelon
    sun flowers
    dill
    cayenne pepper (we love peppers)
    chives
    yellow onions
    garlic
    chamomile
    anyway... you get the point..... please help

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

I am very new here too but from my experience last year I grew over 200 plants indoors under cheap shop lights, about 11.00 per 4' setup.

From what I gathered here from the experts is to keep the light close to the seedling, but not touching and don't over water !
    I also kept a fan blowing on them as long as I had the lights on about 12-16 hours a day.
    I just bought 3 more light sets so I could expand my grow area. I do not plant all these seedlings I grow but I have so much fun with it I just give them away to family and friends. I had the best success with tomatoes and peppers and no success with many of my herbs, but I am going to try again.
    many of your questions can be answered by using the search box also as many people are really busy at this time of the year.
    kim

• gardenper
    10 years ago

Cost-wise, I think the flourescent style of light bulbs are cheaper and seem to cover more area. You can also find them easily at most hardware stores with the proper spectrum and wattage. Compare that to a CFL or other kind of bulb that you wanted, you may even have to get it special-ordered (in the sense that they could ship it to the store but it's not in their regular stock).

I have seen Wal-mart carries some blue-tinted regular socket style plant bulbs but I haven't seen as much report on people using them as they do a 5500-6500K bulb that is white/transparent, so I don't know how good they are in comparison.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!