Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
length of lighting for seedlings

Posted by west9491 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 08 at 19:44

i read somewhere that it is recommended to give seedlings 17 or 18 hrs of light, my coleus seedlings aren't growing, and i think i got them on 12 or 14 hrs, think that s the prob?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: length of lighting for seedlings

West9491,

Because coleus seeds are so small to start with, it takes the seedlings a while to "take off". During the early phase of plant growth, the growth rate is proportional to the plant size, so tiny plants grow slowly at first, and then speed up progressively as they grow larger. Then it becomes time to think about nutrition.

I think your day length is too short. Some people actually leave their lights on all the time at first. I usually set my timers at 16 or 17 hours of light.

Another thing to think about is the temperature of your growing medium. It might be a good idea to measure that with some sort of thermometer.

MM

o

Coleus needs to be sown on the surface. They need light to germinate. If you covered them too deeply they will not germinate. I use a quality heat mat WITH a thermostat and a propogation bag (fancy term for plastic bag). I have it set at 78 degrees. I get all my seeds to germinate is 2-5 days.

o

they've germinated, so that's not the problem, that's as far as i can get, they get their 2 little cotyledon leaves and stop, like i said, they're over a month old and haven't done a thing......

o

Could the growing medium be dried out? That happened to me with a lot of seedlings last year; the surface looked moist after watering, but water was just wetting the top half-inch and then draining. I put the flats in an inch of lukewarm water until the water wicked up to the top (10-15 minutes) and they immediately started taking off. I needed to repeat this routine every couple of weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here