Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lightmaster_gw

What do you think? Let's see a show of hands!

lightmaster
19 years ago

I am starting to get tired of people asking the same questions over and over again. Will these lights work...will these? I think that is why Zink has given up hope.

What do you think. Should I build a website devoted to Flourescent lighting and detail it? Maybe add brands of fixtures and ballasts as visuals. I would need a little help dealing with HID fixtures since I don't know much about them.

-j-

Comments (16)

• jkirk3279
    19 years ago

Well, Yeah !

A FAQ at the very least. A FAQ with pictures turned on.

If you need testimonials, I can post some jpgs.

• gawdly
    19 years ago

Either an FAQ or a separate site would be wonderful. I understand Zink's frustration. Between the shoddy board software only allowing 100 posts, which means reconstructing a whole new thread every time we get to 100, or letting the post die, and the (mis)information circulating on the web, I get pretty tired too.

If I can be of any assistance with your project, let me know. Definitely do get feedback from the Zinker, too, IMO, he's an invaluable resource and his absence from this topic has been noticed.

Sam

• BustedDread
    19 years ago

Sounds like a great idea.

I don't know of any successful forum that doesn't find value in attracting and welcoming new members and participants. It is undoubtedly tiresome for longtime forum dwellers to keep answering the same questions. This is largely the fault of this site's software - combined with some users' laziness or lack of skill in searching previous postings.

As a new member (and recent lurker), I can easily say that this is one of the most useful forums I've perused.

However, I can also suggest something that would be at least as useful to me as an FAQ or fluorescent lighting website. Much of the discussion on this site centers around a few few fixtures and tubes. It would be helpful to know where these are readily available both in brick-and-mortar stores and online for a good price.

For example, the frequently mentioned cheap 140-904 fixtures are nowhere to be seen in my area. Are there other places they can be purchased? What might be a financially acceptable 2nd choice?

For example, I'm mostly finding all other fixtures to be 3 times the cost of the 140-904. Should I just drop the bucks on any of the $17-$30 fixtures I come across or can I order fixtures elsewhere without getting killed by shipping costs or consider alternative products or wait?

Thanks for all the wisdom that's been dispensed here.

BustedDread

• lightmaster
    Original Author
    19 years ago

QUOTE:"If you need testimonials, I can post some jpgs."

Sure, just email them to me.

I am not sure what the new ones look like, I haven't been to HD lately.

I may have a preview of the website in a few days.

-j-

• thandiwe2
    19 years ago

I think that a FAQ would be great but it seems like there are two streams of opinion in the fourm that need to be represented. First, is the do more stream of thought. This is mostly folks that are is really intrested in maximizing light output and calabrating. Perhaps to grow a full crop of something indoors. Secondly there is the do less stream of thought that is intrested in minimizing cost and effort. Most likely to grow small plants for the garden.

A good FAQ or web site would represent both points of view. If someone wants pictures of the minimal approch -- 4 shop lights set up with old books and boxes to lift the plants to the lights and a fan that was from the trash, I'd be happy to e-mail them. I just have to go snap a few photos it never crossed my mind to take a picture of my minimalist set up.

Tracy

• jkirk3279
    19 years ago

" it seems like there are two streams of opinion in the fourm that need to be represented"

You might have a point.

There are the Overdrivers and the Non-Overdrivers in this forum.

There are the 'Raise And Lower the Lights' folks and the 'Stick Books Under The Plants' people.

In the Greenhouse forum there's the home-built greenhouse owners and the Commercial greenhouse owners.

What's that quote... "the only time we see the middle of the road is when we run from side to side".

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    19 years ago

Then there's the "has to be HID" folks and the "fluorescents are good enough" folks.

And the "spectrum is critical" folks and the "just make it bright enough" camp.

How about "brand name" vs "dollar store"?

Did we miss any?

• Vamptoo
    19 years ago

How about the "I really don't know a lot about this so I'm just figuring it out as I go along but I'm still getting about 80% germination with my primitive methods"? I have to admit, I fit in that category but I'm having a great time anyway. LOL

I do think a FAQ would be great though because for every question that is asked, even if it's repetitious, I'll bet there are 50 that are not asking.

Just my humble opinion.

Cindy

• gbrendemuehl
    19 years ago

Other gardenweb forums have FAQs, so you should be able to create one for this forum. I think a FAQ is good for those basic frequently asked questions.

• johnva
    19 years ago

I think lots of pictures would be the key to answering a lot of questions :)

I have always been a listen to others and then try it to see for yourself type. After many years of using both expensive and cheap, I am now on the cheap is usually more than good enough side. My light garden has always been either unheated garage or heated basement so it's seldom been fancy.

I have tried both shades and plexiglas panels on the front of my unheated garage light setup and both have done amazingly well. I have tried timers and 24/7.

So bring on the FAQ, bring on the pics, bring on the practical advice, nobody will ever follow it exactly anyway :) But it makes fun reading and seeing!

John

• nygardener
    18 years ago

I think both a FAQ (organized by broad topic area  types of fluorescents, HID lighting, starting seeds, best lighting for different plant types, temperature/ventilation/space requirements, budget setups, etc.  and an illustrated "how-to"/overview Web site would be useful.

• lightmaster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If you have any info, projects, pictures you would like to post on the new website, email me at lordedenfall@hotmail.com.

-j-

• johnndc
    18 years ago

I have to tell you, when I first came here the other day looking for info on fluorescents for growing orchids I first looked for a FAQ and didn't find one. I did search back through pages of the archives, and found a lot of info, but it would have been nice if someone had assembled all of the earlier conventional wisdom. And I don't think it hurts to present the various points of views with regards to those who say fluorescents are fine, though who say they stink, etc.

• lightmaster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Woah! you brought it back?

I plainly forgot about this...

or gotten rid of because...accidently :)

~J~

• Joe
    18 years ago

I agree with a FAQ being helpful. Having just come to this site seeking info I also searched for one that did not exist. I recently asked a bunch of questions that I'm sure were repetitive (although a search didn't find anything that matched my specific situation). So that would help with the 'ole timers' getting frustrated.

• johnndc
    18 years ago

LOL oops, I didn't realize this was an old post. You guys don't get the traffic the Orchid Forum gets - there it would have been a relatively new post even a few pages back. Sorry about that!

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone