Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1000 watt mh

Posted by joeplant 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 08 at 20:22

hello just purchased a lamp on ebay and was wondering how big of a grow area it covers? joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1000 watt mh

With a 7' paraboloid reflector, that would cover about a 7' circle. However the hood alone would cost hundreds of dollars if the best German metal were used. I don't think the 7' are made any more.

The ballast is the major component. The ballast is like the engine, the bulb is like the transmission.

Very few people buy new 1000w MH any more, they have been obsolete for almost 20 years. Ever since the development of super-hps like Hortilux, which has a higher output to compensate for the less blue, and actually works better than a MH even in the veg phase (for most varieties).
Almost 10 years ago, HPS became obsolete (for plants under 2.5' at harvest) with the development of CMH or ceramic metal halide, an efficient full-spectrum light.

o

hello, thanks for answering.I guess I should have done my homework better.I had hps 400 watt lamp for about six years and I got heavy into succulents with caudexs and read that they do better under mh lamps. thanks joe

o

The most common CMH bulbs are 400w retros
that work on the 400w HPS ballast. Philips
and GE make them. Expect about 50% more
yield with CMH compared to HPS.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here