Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gissim0

COnverting to remote ballast MH lighting

gissim0
15 years ago

Hello, this is my first post. I have been growing citrus for years down here in Louisiana and have been approached by a chef to produce zuchinni flowers all winter. Here is my problem. While setting up my greenhouse is coming along nicely I will need additional lighting. I came across many many 400 watt MH ballasts. They re not remote ballasts. (Think high school gym lights. The ballasts are attached to the reflectors) I can not support that much weight from the roof of my greenhouse so I want to make them remote ballast systems. Does anyone know if this can be done? What guage wire to use? Im sure I can remove the sockets and run wires up to the reflectors, I just dont know where to start. THanks

Comment (1)

• hydroponica
    15 years ago

Now before I start let me preface this by saying I'm not an electrician. I've spent more time in the guts of things that run obscene amounts of wattage than some electricians, but I'm not officially qualified to tell you whether something is right or wrong.

I could care less what a book says about the proper gauge, for example. I always grossly overestimate the gauge needed because I don't like fire. Well I do, just only when I want there to be fire.

It's simple. First, strip the unit down by removing the external panels and parts until you've got a good view of the guts. If this much seems confusing or you're afraid you won't be able to put it back together afterwards, probably not something you should continue on with.

Find the wires that go to the socket that the bulb plugs into. There should be two, maybe three. Whatever size those are, use nothing smaller.

Look for a way to separate the reflector and socket from the rest of it physically. All you need then is a heavy-duty outdoor extension cord. Nothing fancy, just one of those tough-as-nails extension cords with a single plug at each end (male and female). Depending on how far away you want your remote ballasts, get a cord of appropriate length for each light.

Cut the wires that lead from the socket to the ballast at mid-point.

Then, chop off the female end about one foot long. Wire the female into to ballast side of those wires, and the male (the long part now) into the socket side of those wires. Clean everything up and reassemble as best as it will go and that's that. You've now got a remote ballast that you can plug/unplug the light to.

Important consideration: if you're going to do this to several identical lights, make sure you wire the extension cords in exactly the same way on all the lights. This way you don't have to worry about which light goes to which ballast.

I'd advise doing one, making sure it works, and then using it as a guide to do all the others exactly the same all at once.

Oh, and it should go without saying that if you're not familiar with proper insulation of splices and the like you probably should get someone who is to help. It is very difficult to un-electrocute yourself or un-burn the house down. I've been electrocuted a few times and I (allegedly) know what I'm doing so BE CAREFUL.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES