Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Citrus lights

Posted by Soulfire NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 21:15

I am new to all of this, so I apologize in advance.

I have 4 trees (Minneola Tangelo, Meyer Lemon, Owari Satsuma, Clementine De Nules).

Next winter I am thinking of trying the following set-up, as I do not have a bright south-facing window:
Moving my Trees into my unfinished (but dry and only 10 years old) basement. I am thinking of putting tinfoil on cardboard and setting them up behind the trees, to reflect light. Then I will set up a light(s) of some sort.

So first of all, do you all think these would be good conditions for my trees to grow in the winter?

Secondly, specifically what kind of light should I buy? I have searched the internet and I see references to regular fluorescent bulbs, 40W bulbs, specialized grow lights, "red" and "blue" lights etc. What would be the specific light bulbs I should buy?

Thank you all in advance, I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of the information I'm seeing and now really sure which is correct for dwarf citrus trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Citrus lights

You can grow other varieties of fruits indoors as well as citrus. These trees like to be fed and using the proper formula will yield delicious fruits. The key ingredient in fertilizer for indoor citrus trees zinc, iron and magnesium. You can add these to your compost or buy a prepared fertilizer with these in the mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here