Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windclimber

how much Light verses dark?

windclimber
18 years ago

Been all over faq's and didn't find a clear answer to this one.

What is the concensus for how much time under our 4' flourecent gro lights are the best for the Purple Haze and Prue maters I have going?

Common sense tells me that the light cycle in my area would be the best for acclimating these to the world. Do they need many extra hrs of this seemingly intense barrage of light?

Some threads I visited suggest that even 24hrs would not be too much. Others say that 12-18 hrs. is enough.

Is darkness beneficial, ... a nessecity?

Would the light dark cycle "produce" a hardier plant? More light "pumping it up"?

Comments (3)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Some plants, and quite a lot of seedlings, will grow in 24hr light. A light/dark cycle is necessary for most adult plants and is important to regulate flowering and fruiting. Tomatos are not induced to flower by an specific day length. I suggest 14-16 hours of light each day if the light is bright enough. Using fluorescents, which will not have the same intensity as direct sunlight, you might get better results leaving them on for longer.

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

i'm just fooling with growing under lights for the first time, and I don't plan to try tomatoes...this year. However, I've found that my seedlings all seem to be content with "before I take my shower in the morning" to "before I brush my teeth at night", whatever that happens to be.

Lisa

• badzoe
    18 years ago

I've been using lights for seedlings for five or six years and I leave the lights on 24/7 because I'm lazy. My seedlings always seem to thrive...

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting