Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandsun_gw

lights go out after 10 minutes

sandsun
18 years ago

I just set everything up. I have a 4' light duty shop light with 120 watts and 60 hz. My bulbs are 48" F40 T12 grow lights with 1900. I know what none of the above means. I plug in the shop light and after about 10-15 minutes they just go out.

I wait another 15 minutes, replug it in and they go out again in a few minutes. I am such a newbie, I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help? I am so glad I found you guys. I have read every message on this lighting forum. Thanks

Comments (3)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Great problem! Could be a lot of things.

The ballast might be overheating and tripping a thermal cutout. If this is the case then you should be able to hear a distinct click from the fixture when it cuts out. It won't restart until it cools down and the cutout resets.

The tubes may be failing. Do you have new tubes or different tubes that you can try? Possibly, new tubes will work for a while and then start doing the same trick, that points to a ballast problem.

1900 lumens? Are these Plant & Aquarium tubes?

• sandsun
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Everything is brand new. The lights are GE fluorescent F40 plant and aquarium.
    There is no clicking. Now they do not come back on.
    What do you do with a ballast problem?
    Thanks for answering.
    I need help.

• nygardener
    18 years ago

Do the lights sort of flicker or look swirling inside after you turn them on? It could be that the bulbs are not situated properly in the fixtures. Try taking them out, putting them back in, and then rotating carefully until the little notch halfway between the pins on the end caps of each bulb is aligned with the openings in the fixture (in other words, the opening is at the halfway point between the pins).

If you're using an extension cord, make sure it's the three-pronged type and is not cracked or worn. Try plugging the fixture directly into a wall socket. If it works then, replace the extension cord.

Also, do you have the fixture on the same circuit as another major appliance? Try plugging it into another outlet somewhere else in the house, and see if that makes a difference.

If none of that works, try borrowing a couple of ordinary fluorescent bulbs from a neighbor (or buy them at the hardware store for a few dollars) and see if the same thing still happens. If so, chances are your fixture is defective and you should exchange it. If not, then the problem is probably in the bulbs.