Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_w

makeshift greenhouse

janet_w
18 years ago

I have a makeshift greenhouse enclosed on my back porch that faces East. It's 6 feet by 8 feet enclosed on 3 sides with clear heavy plastic and wood and has a plastic door trimmed in wood the back wall of the greenhouse is right up against the siding of my house. The floor is wood with spaces between each slat so air can come through, the ceiling is all wood with beams. There's an electrical outlet and a water outlet close by. I have a 5 metal shelf in there and a table. So far I've only used the greenhouse to store my plants in during the winter with no lights and no heater in there. It's about 60 to 70 degrees in there, summer it gets slightly hotter. I want to grow seeds in there. I'm told I need a light so the plants want be leggy. The only light it gets now is from the sun shining through the plastic. I can't grow anything in seedling trays instead I use 4 inch pots for seeds.

I will only be planting seeds in there in the Spring and Summer maybe Fall. Then the greenhouse will convert back to storing plants over the winter. I winter sow seeds in containers on the patio.

What kind of lighting would I need in there?

Do I put lights on each of the shelves or hang on it from the ceiling to cover the whole space including the shelves?

How long do I need the lights on?

Do I need a small fan?

What else would I need in there to properly grow seeds in my make shift greenhouse?

Thank you

Janet

Comment (1)