Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moms_helper_2008

We're making progress

moms_helper_2008
13 years ago

I uploaded a few of my latest pics for sharing at mom's garden site. Click on the 'Mom's Garden Pics' link below, scroll to the bottom of the page for our 2010 pics.

{{gwi:37127}}

Comments (15)

• moms_helper_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot to post the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Mom's Garden Pics

• anna_in_quebec
    13 years ago

I love looking at your pictures! I have started this year to grow under lights, and was inspired by pictures like yours (amongst others) that it can actually be done.

How do you water the seedlings that are in cups, in trays? Underneath? Do you drain the excess water afterward? Do you ever get damp-off? Do you run a fan? Thanks.

• struwwelpeter
    13 years ago

That is off topic. This is the Growing Under Lights forum.

• anna_in_quebec
    13 years ago

Off topic? How so? You mean we cannot talk about watering seedlings when growing under lights?

• wood7932
    13 years ago

Those tomato plants are beautiful! The stem thickness is phenomenal....Have you been pinching every third or fourth leaf?

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Struw,

Yes, she does tend to cross-post but her plants are beautiful and her growing prowess exemplary. I can live with it, if you can't you don't need to click on her thread.

Mike

• struwwelpeter
    13 years ago

Off topic? How so? You mean we cannot talk about watering seedlings when growing under lights?

No, the OP's cold frame is off topic but not as much as I originally thought.

• moms_helper_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi anna

Our seedlings are raised in 16oz cups that I punch holes in the bottom with a sharp ice pick. You need to stack 6 or 8 to do this. Watering from the top is best. If you water from the bottom the bottom roots get too soaked by the time the water wets the soil at the top of the cup. We raise our seedlings in a room so no need for a fan. When the plants go in the greenhouse for hardening the top is usually partially open. Even though I placed a small fan in the greenhouse, It has never been used.
    GLTY this year...
    And anna, you can ask whatever you want to. Don't be intimidated by other posters. These people are nothing more than pretend board police. You find them on all message boards. They're usually girlymen with a life long confidence problem. They find their manhood on message boards.

wood7932
    Thank you .. We don't pinch off any leaves at this point. The only leaves I might pinch off are on the very bottom
    of the stems up to where I bury the stems when potting or planting out. When we plant we keep all leaves off the ground. As the plants grow I nip off all leaves several to 10 inches up from the ground to prevent disease.

• moms_helper_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

To struwwelpeter

This is the third time you have posted to me acting like you are the board police. I have news for you, you are not! I kindly left you know last time that I didn't appreciate it. And to wordwiz, I don't give a crap whether you 'can live with it' or not, whatever I post and where ever I post ..and I doubt anyone else does either. You stuck your foot in your mouth last time and ended up apologizing to me several times. I post my pics on two or three boards, all relevant to our gardening.
    I joined this board in 2008 the same year both of you did. I didn't come here to belittle people alluding to them as being dumb or stupid if I disagree with them as I've seen both of you do, mostly you stru. I came here to learn and share. I do find it flattering and amusing that both of you follow me around like tales. I'm going to give you two boys some advice, leave your egos at the door when you come in these rooms. As you both can see in the above posts, other members enjoy what pics and info I provide here and on other threads. You two are the only ones that seem to have a problem with my posts. I have never said one word on what or where you two post...ever.
    This old man has more advice, you boys need to skip on down to the local icecream parlor, get yourselves a chocolate shake and sit down and enjoy my garden show because I am going to post what I want, where I want and how I want unless the powers to be at GardenWeb let me know different. Let me be clear, I don't need to post anything here. I do it because I enjoy sharing and helping people and learning. I am writing this post in a good mood. I don't want to run in to this again at the wrong time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mom's Garden Pics

• anna_in_quebec
    13 years ago

You go Mom's_Helper!!! Well said indeed! I have never experienced such mean-spiritedness at the winter sowing forum, or the Dahlia forum - amongst many others!! We were all beginners once - and I always thought that this is one traits of those who love to grow and garden: sharing, and sharing with kindness and patience.

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Mom's Helper,

Get a life. You take offense at one thing I said in passing: that I can live with it, which is worse than childlish - especially given that I also said your growing methods are exemplary and your images beautiful. Climb off your high horse.

I really don't care when you joined - being here two years does not confer any more status on you (or me) than someone who joined two weeks ago. What does make a difference is your ability to grow plants and pass on info about how to do it others. I never questioned that; I actually praised it.

If you want to cross-post (or cross-dress) to every section of this site, I can live with that. And if that bothers you, like I said, get a life.

Mike

• struwwelpeter
    13 years ago

To struwwelpeter

This is the third time you have posted to me acting like you are the board police. I have news for you, you are not! I kindly left you know last time that I didn't appreciate it.

Dear Momma's Boy,

1. So, are you saying that your cold frame is on topic?

2. I am not acting like the board police because, with one exception, I never complained to GardenWeb staff. The exception was an incidence of libel.

3. You have mistaken me for someone who cares about your delicate psyche. I am not the one having a fecal hemorrhage.

• moms_helper_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OT: Great post strudles, keep them coming! Fecal hemorrhage? You're a real class act, son...real class. LOL

From under the lights...

To six weeks later...

Pics from the beginning of this year to May 15th posted at Mom's Garden link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mom's Garden

• anna_in_quebec
    13 years ago

Yeah! I just LOVE the look of seedling! Congrats!

• moms_helper_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

anna, it seems like it was just last week that our plants were seedlings under the lights

{{gwi:1024522}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Mom's Garden

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville