Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need to install lights?

Posted by milocrab none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 11 at 7:28

Hi all, I'm planning to grow some leafy greens indoor in front of a large north-facing window, but am not sure if I need extra lights. I live in a high rise apartment building, with every single one of the windows facing north; no balcony. However, I live on the 32nd floor with no obstruction in front, and the window area is quite large (the area where I plan to plant has a 3 meter wide window). I have a light meter and had been checking lux levels for 2 weeks. On a lightly overcast day, the level is approximately 5000-6000 lux after 8:30am and gradually rises to 9000-10000 lux around 11:00am; and keep the same intensity till 2 pm then decrease to 6000 lux around 4 pm.

I'd also read about " Daily Light Integral (DLI)", according to the data that I collected over the short 2 weeks interval; my planting area should be around 4.5 mol.m2/day on a cloudy day, and around 6 mol.m2/day on a clear day. If I'm only planning to grow collards, mustard greens, cabbage and some Asian vegetables like pok choi and tatsoi, do you think I need to install some artificial lights to supplement the window light? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need to install lights?

Do your north windows get any direct sunlight?

o

Does it have to be direct sunlight? I get a tiny patch of sunlight during sunset; but I think it's better not to count it, as it only shines in at late hours and very steep angle.

o

Yes you need lights. There's not enough light shining through a northern window unless you're in south America or below the equator.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here