Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenridge_gw

Growing orchids

Glenridge
19 years ago

Has anyone used a Klima-Gro growth chamber for growing orchids under fluorescent lights? I could use some tips for Phalanopsis.

Comments (2)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    19 years ago

Looks like nobidy here has one of these pieces of fine furniture. It is incredibly difficult to get hold of information about the lighting system inside the boxes (always a bad sign!) but I did get some info. The light intensity inside the smaller ones seems to be about 1,000 foot-candles and up to nearly 1,500 foot-candles in the bigger ones. This should be sufficient for Phalaenopsis from what I understand. Despite what it says on the website, these boxes aren't suitable for high-light plants.

For some reason the two biggest models use biax fluorescents. Maybe they get a more even light? Anyway, you lose a bit of efficiency that way and most people would prefer straight tubes whenever you have enough space to put in a 48" tube. The actual tubes seem to be subject to change. I hear from non-official sources that they are currently using a high-CRI triphosphor tube from GE, but I can't find a retail tube that matches the specs I was given. It is worth noting that the numbers given on the Klima-Gro web site for power usage and light output simply don't add up. The smallest model runs about 50W of light and 20W of heat (when needed), the largest model runs about 150W of light and 50W of heat.

My summary, an expensive piece of furniture that should be sufficient for your needs. I could rig up something better in every respect except appearance for 1/10th of the price. Maybe you could ask around in some orchid forums because it does appear that other orchid growers use these.

• lucy
    19 years ago

Hello, I've had a big one for years, and it's great for orchids! And bromeliads go crazy in it, and so do lots of other things. I got it cheeep, as the last of a line in a store that was closing, and I've also ordered other things (parts) from the co. and gotten good service. The lights are available at good lighting places and do NOT heat up inside. I have a big tree stump in mine now, with low lite stuff lower down, and high lites higher up. I ordered some special brackets from the co. and have a clear (very thick) narrow glass shelf near the top now, on which I have small things rooting. And I've moved 3 times since getting it and not one of the glass pieces has broken yet, which I can't believe! And no, I don't work for the co!