Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennieboyer

Brand new - need advice

jennieboyer
12 years ago

Hi All - I thought I posted this yesterday, but don't see it. Please forgive if this is a repeat.

I am brand new to growing under lights - I have germinated seedlings in little pots and tried to put in a sunny window - they get too leggy. I'm ready to try under lights, but have no idea how to get started.

I have a table that is about 3x4 feet - I need a light that can sit on the table - no real ability to mount anything. I am open to adjustable lights - actually would prefer them if I can get the right setup.

I am looking for any recommendations on how to source/choose grow lights that can sit on a table over the plants. Thanks in advance for your help!

Jennie

Comments (6)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Is budget a factor?
    Because there are all manner of tabletop systems- I have linked one below for you.
    This is what I use to start my seedlings.
    You can certainly do it 95% more cheaply using a shop light on stacks of books- it all depends on budget and aesthetic requirements.

Here is a link that might be useful: adjustable tabletop lighting

• jennieboyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good question! I would like to do this fairly cheaply - I am new to gardening from seed and probably going to do less than 20 seeds each year. I tried a shop light (clamp on), but the seeds kept reaching in the direction of the light - I couldn't get it directly above them. Would like to stay around $50-75 if that is possible.

The one you did link to looks great - just don't think I can afford it :-)

• art33
    11 years ago

Jennie,

Many folks just make their own grow light stand using inexpensive PVC pipe. You could design it to fit on your table and to hold one or more shop lights (also inexpensive). Some glue them all together but others just glue part of it so it can be taken apart for storage. Actually, the pieces usually fit tight enough that glueing may not even be necessary at all. You can cover the bottom ends of the legs with rubber cane tips so it won't slip around on the table.

Do a Google search for something like "grow light stand, PVC pipe" and you should find several good examples. Click the link below to see just one example.

Art

Here is a link that might be useful: Just one example

• tanyuu
    11 years ago

I used one similar to the one linked below (may be the same brand- need to check) at my teacher's aide job. It does the job decently, it's easy to assemble and dissemble, and you can get two flats underneath it. There's a longer version as well. The light is easily adjustable as well.

I used Amazon by default- there's probably a site that may give you a better price.

Right now, I have a setup where I used a normal wire shelving unit, some heating pads, and some grow lights- if you graduate to that, you can use the lamp from that set very easily!

Here is a link that might be useful: Another possibility

• sasmith89
    11 years ago

Fluorescent lights are the cheapest light to use. They produce little heat so ventilation may not be needed unless the space is very small. The light spectrum put out by these lights is suitable for all stages of plant growing. Because fluorescent disperse light over a large area, they need to be kept within 3 inches : 7.5 cm of the tops for the plants to receive enough light. This means you will have to mount the lights in a way that the can be raised everyday.

• dowbright
    11 years ago

Many years ago when I first started I bought a fluroescent fixture and had 2x4 blocks cut from a piece of wood to hold it up. As the plants grew, I added another block under each corner of the fixture. It didn't look like much, and it wasn't large�but the plants did fine! I wish you happy growing and warn you that you are getting into an addictive habit. But a good one!