Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brooder lamps with CFLs

Posted by CaraRose 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 12:25

Hi all,

I was curious if someone could tell me what distance a 150watt (equivalent to incandescent) CFL bulb in a brooder lamp should be from the plants?

I'm currently spotlighting an African lily we're overwintering in our basement. It seems to be reacting well to it (it wasn't getting enough window light down there and was pretty poor looking) and greening up, but it's on the ceiling maybe 3-4 feet above. Is this adequate or should it be closer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brooder lamps with CFLs

I am using 75 watt equivalency bulbs on my plants, and I don't like my plants any closer than 4 inches. At double the power of my bulb you need a greater distance. Since light spreads in two dimensions as It's distance increase in one dimension you need to multiply the square root 150/75 times 4 inche to have the same intensity that I have on my plants. Hear are some picture of what has worked well for me.

old box at 2 ft tall plants plants still in food cans photo IMG_3597_1_zpsbbd12b99.jpg
This is my 4 ft square with peppers

.KUMQUAT GROWER COMPONENTS--POTTED TREE TO LEFT--ROOT VACUUM CHAMBER TO RIGHT USES VACUUM CLEANER--- -  TREE GET PLACED IN STEEL CAN AND VACUUM HOSE GOES IN HOLE IN LOWER CAN photo IMG_3594_1_zps8cf4e968.jpg
Seed grown meiwa kumquat tree next to is bucket light system---1 bulb

4)---16 brocoli plant in 1 gal. cans under 8 lights of 650 lumens, Above, Meiwa kumquat tree's roots are warmed by lights to 85 deg. photo IMG_3691_zpsd744827b.jpg
Light for broccoli below, heat for meiwa kumquat tree roots above.

While there probably nothing here that is what you are doing, it shows about how close you can be. Some plants scald easier than other. Most plant will show signs of distress before any damage sets in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here