Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_b_gw

Aphids & whiteflies oh my!

karen_b
19 years ago

I've been having a problem with aphids and whiteflies on my basil, hope I am doing the right thing. Last month I sprayed them with pyrethrin, this week end I took all of the plants out side (70 degrees) and hosed them off real well and cleaned up the area. I didn't spray, should I have?

Comments (7)

• DRKboss
    19 years ago

Howdy Karen B,

You don't say if you plan to eliminate the pests completely or simply keep them under control until harvest.

Do you know where the pests came from?

Here's a tip you might find handy to keep the population down, but will not eliminate the problem: take an empty 2 liter Coke bottle and cut off the bottom. Get a wide screen that will alow the aphids and whiteflies to pass through but the plant leaves can't. Use duct tape and tape it across the bottom of the bottle. Then cut a hole in the top just large enough to put your vacuum cleaner hose in. Duct tape that if you need to.

Now you can take your plants and "clean" them of bugs by vacuuming them with your new attachment.

In order to completely eliminate any type of insect infestation you must both prevent new bugs from entering and then wipe out two successive generations.

There is a product called AVID (which is not cheap) but it is not actually a pesticide. It is an insect hormone which prevents whiteflies from maturing and therefore cannot lay new eggs.

• karen_b
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I forgot to say they are seedlings about 2 inches high in six packs I sowed from seed, under a grow light system setup in my basement along with other plants I am overwintering. I am pretty sure the bugs came from the overwintering mint, that is where I saw them first. I am just hoping to keep them to minimum until they can be planted outside and let natural predators take over, with a little help if needed.

I will have to keep the tip on vacuuming them in mind, unless I can think of something big enough to fit over the six pack.

Thanks

• studley
    19 years ago

I'm having the same problem. I have been trying to remove them manually... but it's getting out of hand.

Any other ideas?

David

• karen_b
    Original Author
    19 years ago

So far I've been able to keep them to a minimum by hosing them off and pinching back the big leaves on the basil. It was hard not to use them but they had too many bugs. I also am cutting the mint way back. As of last night the bugs are still at a minimum, but I'll have to wait to see how many eggs hatch. I've also purchased white fly traps but haven't had a chance to set them up.

Karen

• nygardener
    19 years ago

Those yellow sticky traps are very easy to set up and work well for controlling modest infestations of whiteflies. That should keep them under control until you move the plants outdoors. Hosing down plant foliage (or giving them a lukewarm shower) every couple of weeks keeps aphids down.

Spraying with neem oil, pyrethrin, or insecticidal soap does a more permanent job for both (especially neem oil) but is a smelly, sticky hassle, not worth it if you're moving them outside anyway (where natural predators will quickly get rid of both pests).

• johnva
    19 years ago

another suggestion is to put them in the bath tub, turn on the exhaust fan, and spray them with a solution ot 1/3 water, 1/3 sudsy ammonia, and 1/3 alcohol.

John

• ecaesia
    18 years ago

hi there, I am so happy to made the connection why my whole property and surrounds are inundated with white fly and two aphid beasties! We have had No rain here in Melbourne, at this time of the year you are covered in all things thick, wooly and waterproof - but alas not yet. Maybe we'll have water restrictions again this year? Speaking for my garden - I very much hope not!!
    Your Basils? - spray with garlic every three or four days, just a light dose - nothing too stinky;) -- this will keep populations right down! Cheers