Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

Help picking 1000W HID system

maple_grove_gw
11 years ago

Hi folks,

I'm considering getting a 1000W system, and would like to ask for help picking out the best system. Currently I have a 400W light, and I need another, more powerful HID. It will hang a few feet above a poly humidiy chamber in my basement used for winter grafting of conifers.

I've got my eye on the Sunleaves Simple Two-Way Ballast (1000W) ($117)and the Sunleaves Arctic Sun 6" Plug N Play reflector ($74). Optilume bulb for $35, and probably need a connector cord ($10) and a light hanger for $30 brings the total price to ~$265.

My questions for you folks are, how would you rate these items, and can you suggest better alternatives? I want a quality system that will last for years (well, the system, not the bulb), and need to keep the price down as much as I can.

Thanks!

This post was edited by maple_grove on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 9:40

Comments (6)

• overdrive
    11 years ago

Quality that lasts for years = two choices: Venture 575W pulse start metal halide, you will need to contact Jeff at businesslights.com for the ballast and lamps. I use them, go on the Venture site. 575W pulse start halide is equivalent to 2x400 W conventional probe halide, and is better than 1000W conventional halide. The other best choice = contact Jeff for the Phantom 600W digital ballast and run reflectorized HPS from HTG supply. This is a fantastic lamp. 1000W Halide is old school, and obsolete.
    P.S. I am recommending exactly what I have in my own basement, I have a PAR meter, and this is after I did all the research, like yourself. I had to find these things out on my own, via the internet. :)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    11 years ago

Not trying to hijack the thread but has anyone found a site for well priced PAR meters? I'd like to verify why my plants lean toward one type of bulb, can't trust everything you find on the internet LOL.

• overdrive
    11 years ago

PAR for a cheap one will be 300$ plus. i have one, but then i make pretty good money.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    11 years ago

Thanks, I was hoping they have come down a bit more. I want to validate my findings with numbers...maybe next year.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, OD. Looks like an interesting and powerful lamp, and I saw your other thread on this as well.

Now, I'm something of a novice at these lights and was considering a "Plug & Play" type solution for its simplicity, but I'm always open to new things. I looked up the Venture ballast and it to me it looks like a box with a wire sticking out. So my question to you is, what else would I need to get, in addition to the MH ballast. Obviously the bulb and reflector, but what other cords or parts? And how do they link up?

Thanks so much!

• overdrive
    11 years ago

Hi, U need a case to mount it in - this usually costs about 30$, you need line cord with a plug to plug into the wall, and you need more cable to run from the ballast to the lampholder - I use 600V rated wire for this, 3 conductor. For the 575W ballast, unfortunately you also need a remote ignitor, which costs almost 60$, so by this point you might be unhappy about the cost of it all. - you can pm me if you like at ptmozarowski at hot mail dot com -
    it will not work without the remote ignitor, because of the length of the cable. - pm.