Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clones2

For total lumens - do you add both lights?

clones2
13 years ago

Ok- so I've read through tons of posts to not ask a question someone else asked... BUT.

I am trying to determine if I have enough lumens with my first cheap grow light...

T12 - 40W - 48" bulbs

1 is 6500K Full Spectrum Daylight - ~2300 lumens

1 is 3000K (warm white I believe) - ~1800 lumens

Is this sufficient for typical vegetable seedlings?

Comments (13)

• clones2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess I am asking if there is a total lumens number that most people shoot for, for this purpose. Thx.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Why mix bulbs? 2 6500k bulbs would give you 4600 lumen instead of the 4100 you're getting. More light = shorter, stockier and stronger plants. The slight difference in color temp will not make any noticeable difference in quality. I use 4 overdriven bulbs on each shelf. My lights put out close to 5000 lumen each for a total of around 20,000 per shelf but I can grow plants that set fruit inside. Your setup will work for seedlings but they will get a little leggy.

• clones2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The warm white is actually 3300 lumens...

So my warm white at 3000K is 3300 lumens... but the 6500K is 1000 lumens less.

Doesn't make total sense to me...

• taz6122
    13 years ago

AFAIK there's no T12 that puts out 3300 lumen and if there was it wouldn't be 3000k. I'm sure you are mistaken.

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Lumens are not as important to plant growth as FootCandles or Lux. Lumems measure the amount of light coming from a bulb - FC/Lux measure how much is hitting a square foot or square meter. 4100 total lumens over four square feet is not much light - that why most growers use two sets of lights per a 1x4' shelf and move them much closer to the plants - it increase the intensity (thus the FC/Lux) of the light.

Mike

• clones2
    Original Author
    13 years ago
  • taz6122
    13 years ago

Please give us an address we can use!

Mike since bulbs don't list the FC/lux the only thing we have to go on is lumen and color temp. I'm not into buying a light meter, then buying every type of bulb to measure the FC to determine which one is best.
    So far IME anything between 4100k and 6500k is best. Any lower is too red and any higher is too blue.

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

taz,

Generally, lumens = FootCandles at a distance of one foot away.

One of the first tools I bought after I started growing plants was a light meter. Not an expensive one, but it does the job. I don't need to guess if the seedlings are getting enough light.

Mike

• taz6122
    13 years ago

So if I'm running 20,000 lumen at one foot then at 1-2" am I doubling that +/-? Too early for me to do math, lol. I had a light meter when I originally set the overdriven lights up but just measured at a foot away and I am getting +/- 10,000 from each fixture.

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

taz,

According to the inverse square light, if the distance is cut in half, the intensity is going to be four times greater. At six inches, you should get about 80,000 lumens. But this is for a light is a point source. With a tube light, the measurements are different. In my measurements using fluros as well as MH, I find that cutting the distance in half roughly doubles the intensity.

Mike

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Sounds good! I know my plants are doing good so far. Thanks Mike!

• veriria
    13 years ago

I've seen this "overdriven" word a few times now, but I don't know what it means...? Thanks in advance for explaining :)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

There are many threads on the subject that a simple search will bring up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Search results