Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcusrose_gw

Cheap, productive lighting system

marcusrose
17 years ago

A couple of months ago I posted a request for information about fluorescent lighting for seedlings. I said I would report my experience. Here it is:

This is my 2nd year gardening, I love to grow from seed but I live in a dark house.

I bought a recessed light fitting 1200mm x 600mm:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Lighting_Fluorescent_Index/Modular_2/index.html

This was only £19.85 plus four T8 48 inch tubes. 2x 6500k and 2x 3500k, as recommended here. I propped this up on 4 stacks of video cassette boxes on a low table. Underneath there was room for 6 40 cell basic propagators. Using a timer I had the system on for 16 hours in 24. It is next to a window which by opening provided some air circulation. In total it cost £33.00 inc VAT. It works fantastically. By way of unscientific control I had a propagator placed on top of the lighting box with just window light. All seedlings under the lights (mesembryanthum, mina lobata, nicotina, salvia, chiles, basil among others) grew thick stems and broad leaves all had a strong colour especially in stems. They were clearly stronger and healthier than any others grown elsewhere inside or out and clearly much better than those grown on top of the lighting using just window light. Given my inexperience, the cheap cost and the successful results I would recommend this to anyone looking for cheap artificial lighting for seedlings.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner