Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soilent_green

My New Online Seed Starting Photos

soilent_green
12 years ago

I have some new photos online regarding my bulk seed starting under lights for 2011. More photos to come soon, including these seedlings transplanted into separate seedling pots, and including assemblies of my outdoor knock-down grow boxes.

26 flats seeded at this point (2200 seedlings). A bunch more to go yet as the correct seeding time arrives for them.

You are welcome to check out the photos. If interested please click the link below.

-Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: My Seed Starting Photos

Comments (5)

• niftynabber
    12 years ago

Wow, nice set up!! How much space is there between the shelves on the rack? Do you raise the trays, or do the lights adjust up n down as well?

• soilent_green
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi niftynabber,

Thanks for your interest. The space from each shelf to the bottom of the bulbs is 8 inches. The wooden risers are actually my wooden transplant flats that I simply tip upside down. They are 2 1/2 inches tall. With the 2 1/2 inch tall 1020 black plastic seed flats sitting on those risers the space from the top of the 1020 black plastic seed flats to the bulbs is 3 inches. This system allows me to get the newly seeded flats closer to the bulbs. I remove the risers when the seedlings start to touch the bulbs.

The light fixtures are permanently attached in the shelf framework. The shelves are nonadjustable and are an integral part of the framework of the unit. Nothing is adjustable on this unit. By the time the transplants outgrow that 8" space the weather is usually nice enough here to keep them outside in my growboxes/coldframes. They then get the benefit of real solar power and get acclimated to outdoor conditions.

I will be posting a photo series of my growbox/coldframe soon. They really need to be tied in here with the light shelves because they comprise half of my system for starting and growing bedding and starter plants. I assembled the first one today and took pictures of the assembly process. I just need to upload the photos and write descriptions. Transplants will start going into this first growbox tomorrow, weather permitting.

BTW I start and grow around 2500-3500 plants yearly without a greenhouse. The fuel cost to heat a greenhouse up here in Minnesota is prohibitive IMO. My fuel cost: ZERO.

More details about the light shelves are in my response in the "Post Your Grow Light Setup" thread originally posted by GW member "horseflysgarden" in this forum. It is a long thread with lots of pics so if it turns out to be a hassle for folks to access I will reprint my response here.

-Tom

• soilent_green
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As promised I now have a photo series completed showing design and assembly of my home-built knock-down grow boxes.

These boxes are an integral part of my system that begins with starting and growing seedlings under the light system discussed in the thread, and progresses to the transfer of those seedlings and transplants into the grow boxes where they can both develop and get acclimated prior to planting when that time arises. This is why I have included this subject in a thread in the "Growing Under Lights" forum.

Click on the image to go to the photo series.

{{gwi:295731}}

Feel free to contact me if any questions.

-Tom

• mandolls
    12 years ago

Big WOW!

My light set up is along the line of what you have, though only 4 shelves, however, now that I am transplanting up to bigger pots, and out of light shelf room, I am hauling plants in and out every day. Those grow boxes are great, and something even my limited carpentry skills could probably handle. And heck, I would only need one.

Thanks for sharing!!

• soilent_green
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Regarding the grow boxes:

I do have several design concepts for sturdy legs instead of using the benches so if anyone is interested let me know and I will pass the ideas on to them.

It should be understood that legs would add a bit of complication to the assembly and disassembly of the unit, and may even require two persons instead of one to safely assemble / disassemble.

-Tom

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz