Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dead but hopeful?

Posted by evilingarnett 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 16:05

FIRST: I want to say how grateful I am for all the advice and encouragement I've gotten from all of you. Despite this:
Every single seedling I started this year died. Even my Zinnias which are usually a sure thing.
I always use indoor grown seedlings, to help me tell flowers from weeds and coz i share garden space and it's a better way of "marking territory"

MY QUESTIONS:
???
should I start again with half of seedlings and sow other half outside?

???
Under grow lights packets say 6-8 weeks needed b4 transplanting outside. That means I couldn't put them out till middle of June.
IS THIS A HAD AND FAST RULE OR CAN I SPEED IT UP W. GREENHOUSE KIT/FORCED GERMINATION?

I'm really sad, this was the first year I had a space w. enough sun to grow snapdragons and I was really psyched.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dead but hopeful?

Since a couple of months have gone by, you should be able to plant your zinnias in-ground now. Plant them about a quarter to half an inch deep and sprinkle the seed bed until they come up, which should be in a week or less.

You need to figure out why all of your seedlings died. I lost a lot of indoor zinnia seedlings this year to thrips, a little insect almost too small to see with the naked eye. Their populations can explode indoors without natural enemies.

If you have pictures of your dying seedlings, or can describe the event in more detail, we might be able to figure out what the problem was. So that next year you can avoid the problem.

ZM

This post was edited by zenman on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 20:26

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here