Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick bulb confirmation

Posted by Joe1q2w3e none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 18:07

Hi there!

Is this bulb good for growing seedlings indoors?

Thank You in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick bulb confirmation

Hi Joe and welcome to GardenWeb!

Well, most folks use the tubular fluorescent bulbs because they can get so many more plants under them. However, if you just have a few seedlings, there’s certainly nothing wrong with using the CFL type bulbs. The Philips bulb in your photo should work just fine. 6500k is great for vegetative growth. Depending on what kind of seedlings (and how many) you intend to grow, you’ll probably need several of those bulbs. Also, I’m sure you realize that the bulb needs to be mounted in a good reflector, to concentrate those 1450 lumens onto your plants and not the walls :-) Reflectors with vent holes, to let the heat out, are best.

Hope this helps,

Art

o

Thank you very much for your kind reply!
Is it ok, even if they are T2 bulbs?

o

Well, if they’re T2 bulbs, the only difference I can think of would be the heat. I use mostly T8 bulbs, but I do have a few T5’s. I much prefer the T8’s because they don’t get near as hot as the T5 bulbs. I’ve actually had the tips of plant leaves get burned when coming into contact with T5’s (never happens with T8’s). I don’t have any T2’s but I’m thinking they might get pretty hot.

Art

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here