Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wordwiz_gw

Why I like LEDs

wordwiz
14 years ago

Had these plants under a 54 watt, 12" panel. It's sort of broken, half the lights are burned out. But check the internode length!

{{gwi:1025506}}

Mike

Comments (14)

• colokid
    14 years ago

I would like LEDs except for
    Their high cost
    Their cheap leds that burn out
    Their false advertising. Actual wattage in use is not the same as the "rated" watts. My tests show that the usual 12 watt one actually draws about 3 watts. Not enough power for any thing.
    I have one 48 watter that runs with a 33 volt transformer that is faultless. Just grew a bunch of tomatoes seedling in perfect condition
    I have 4 other LEDs that are throw aways..burned out strings or complete burn out. Some burned out in an hour, some in a week. I will never buy any again unless they are transformer operated, an on DC current. Reminds me of the old Christmas tree lights.
    KennyP

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

More pics. My 7-pod pepper plant that is under a 125 watt R/B/O light.

{{gwi:1025508}}

Notice the very short length between nodes? Great for artificial light.

From the top:

{{gwi:1025510}}

Mike

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

I have one 48 watter that runs with a 33 volt transformer that is faultless.

So, why are you coy about brand, model, source and price?

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got the light from www.thegreenleaf.biz. Don't have a clue what brand it is and really don't care. Their prices, like everyone's else have risen dramatically in the last month, though every supplier I have talked with says they will come back down. I didn't post the price because Jessica made me a good deal and I said I wouldn't. At the time, the list price was $209.

Once prices come back down and I sell some produce, I intend to order at least three and hopefully seven of these.

Mike

• hydroponic_gardening
    13 years ago

@mike---Those are really nice looking plants! But considering the cost of LED lights, I still have doubts if they are worth the try...Can you give me more insights on the benefits of LEDs based on your experience? I would really appreciate more input from people who have used them with their crops. Thanks :)

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The 125-watt panel I bought is about the same cost as a 400 watt MH/HPS combo system and covers about the same area. My goal is to raise about 60 tomato plants so I would need eight panels/systems. That would be 1,000 watts per hour vs 3,200.

I also like the growth patterns. The plants do not seem to grow quite as fast or have a large internode distance. Outside, that would not make any difference but inside it does.

In another three weeks or so I plan on another test, one Celebrity and one Better Boy tomato plant, growing on the edge of the panel.

I'll try to post updates once it starts.

Mike

• jkirk3279
    13 years ago

Hmm.

The UFO style lights from Greenleaf.biz mention having fans to keep the power supply cool.

Which model had the external transformer?

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Who mentioned fans, cooling or transformers in this thread?

Mike

• jkirk3279
    13 years ago

Colokid mentioned a LED unit that had an external transformer: the link to Greenleaf.biz mentions units that have three internal fans, implying an internal power supply.

I thought it was worth exploring, as any light run on an external DC power brick would be easier to service.

BTW, Colokid, if you're tracking this thread: have you thought about reconditioning the lights?

LED's are cheap in bulk, you'd just need to know which ones to buy to match the correct limiting resistor.

• colokid
    13 years ago

The good one with the external transformer I got off of E-bay and I have no way to remember who. I think I would recognize it if I saw it gain.
    The others are so bad that when I repair them, they "pop" another LED in a few hours. One of them blew the first hour I had it. Sent it back for replacement and the replacement ran two days and blew several more LEDs. I think they are just plain selling junk Leds
    As a electronic person those capacitor/resistor current limiters leave me in doubt. I never liked Chrismas tree lights either. I think that if I were building one I would place no more than say 4 LEDs to a circuit--like 12 volts and DC current.
    My meter says that the rated 48 watt unit actualy draws about 12 watts so to conpare, they do pretty good. There is a great difference in actual power a LED uses if running DC or AC or pulsed DC.
    I do think that LEDs are the way to go..after they come down in price and the sellers put out a quality product.
    Kenny

• Cybert543
    13 years ago

I recently purchased a so call 135w UFO LED light. When it arrived it was clearly labeled 90w. A watt meter verified that the unit draws only 80-85 watts. After returning the light over 30 days ago, "Jessica" has given me excuse after excuse as to why I have not yet been REFUNDED. The company has since ceased contact with me and I am now pursuing a dispute of the charge with my bank. Not only are they trying to pass off 90w units as 135w, but she apparently doesn't want to refund my 279$. My bank will have to force that refund.

DON'T BUY FROM THEGREENLEAF.

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cybert,

That's weird. I did business with Jessica and had no problems whatsoever. But I bought the 125-watt panel a couple of years ago.

Mike

• Bigrick31
    13 years ago

I am in the same boat as you Cybert543 I bought some of their 90w LEDs and when I got them they were only using 45w due to bad power supplies in the LEDs I contacted the greenleaf and they said they would refund my money after I sent the lights back. They have had my broken lights for over 60 days now and refuse to refund my money. I get a different story from Jessica and Dwayne every day as to why they cant give me my money back :(

• scubastan
    13 years ago

Time to Go Plasma! hahaha

There is a company that is producing a Plasma Grow light. The price is still WAY to high for non pot growers, but the potential is AWESOME.