Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very Bright, Indirect Light

Posted by hdcochran 8a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 20:06

I am planning to grow orchids under lights. Many varieties require "very bright, indirect light." What kind of reflector should be used to maximize indirect light? (I'll also post this on the orchids forum.)

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very Bright, Indirect Light

Indirect light means no direct sunlight. Very bright indirect light would mean shade but open to the sky, not hidden under a big beech tree or stuck in a dark alley.

Almost any artificial light would be considered indirect since it is unlikely to rival direct sunlight. Make sure that you reflector does not produce hotspots of very intense light that could burn the plant. That means avoiding completely smooth reflectors and looking for one with an uneven surface. A simple white reflector instead of a shiny one is perfectly good for this. You can also look to surround the plants with white surfaces on all sides so that light reaches the plant from all directions instead of just directly overhead.

o
RE: Very Bright, Indirect Light

Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here