Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lborrill

Another 'enough light' question (sigh)

lborrill
14 years ago

I've been a lurker on this wonderful forum and have learned TONS from all of you. So firstly, I'd like to say thanks for all the great information. Unfortunately, despite the number of threads on this subject, I can't find my exact question:

I'm a long time gardener who is trying starting vegetables from seed this year. I've bought two of the Hydrofarm Jumpstart 2' JSV2 grow lights and have them hovering closely over flats of tomatoes and sweet peppers. My problem is that I'm not certain they're getting enough light despite the claims of this product.

According to the box, these lights produce about 2300 lumens. My light meter is reading at about 300 foot candles right at leaf height (which is only a few inches from the bulb). My peppers seem to be stretching, and my tomatoes look...okay, I guess. I've got the lights set to run about 13 hours a day. They also get a little supplemental light from my shop.

My dilemma is that I could put these flats outside during the day to get more light but then I'm fighting bugs (and wind). Leaving them in my workshop under these lights with a couple screened windows open for air is my preference. But I'm not sure this light setup is giving me enough.

For those of you who understand lumens and foot candles, do you think I'm giving my seedlings enough light? If not, does it help to keep the lights on longer? Or am I stuck having to buy more lights/fight bugs?

Comments (11)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

It looks like you need ~750 foot candles (min) for veggie seedlings. Your lumens seem to be on par. An no, more 'weak' light does not equal more intense light.

hmm.. I hope someone else can chime in.

I use regular shop lights because grow light have given me terrible results.... not enough light. I only use them for overwintering plants such as begonias.

Have you tried a regular T12/40W fixtures?

Keriann~

• lborrill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I'm painfully learning that mistake about grow lights as well. I'd actually gone to buy shop lights, but I needed 2' length and the only 2' length fixture they had was "hard wire". Not wanting to burn my garden shed down trying to deal with that, I thought this would be the easier option for just a few dollars more, but now I'm regretting it. These lights are really puny and the cord is so heavy in comparison that they don't even hang straight.

It sounds like I should take these back and do a little more shopping for what I really wanted in the first place. I was only fearing that I might be worrying too much, considering this is my first attempt and all. (If I kill these plants it will be for OVER tending, not under!)

I appreciate the quotes on the foot candles. I'd been looking all over the site for that minimum number but only came up with stuff on orchids. ;-)

• taz6122
    14 years ago

"I've been a lurker on this wonderful forum and have learned TONS from all of you"

If that was true you would know better than buying "Grow lights".
    It's not difficult to put an extension cord on a hard wire light. There are only 3 wires and all are different colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Make a Hardwire Light Fixture Into a Plug In

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

You are welcome

I agree, grow lights are confusing.. think of them for growing/mature indoor house plants, not seedlings... maybe that association will help. You could always grab twisty CFL bulbs to get some extra light by your plants. These can be screwed into a standard lamp and fit within your space.

I also agree, I stay away from hard wiring, no time to mess with that. My shop lights come right out of the box for 10 bucks.. no fussing around. Bummer you could not find them in 2' lengths... did you try Menards?

Keriann~

• lborrill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, technically it's a T5, which is what sold me on it. The woman in lighting said it's the newest technology and a good bulb for growing. But it's a 2' single bulb, and it doesn't seem that even being a T5, having only one in that short length is enough for a flat of peppers. Luckily the box is in tact and I've got receipt in hand. I'm taking it back and heading to Home Depot for standard shop lights. I do have another spot where I can use a double bulb light in a 4' length which seems to be the standard here on the boards. (Do I dare start the T8/T12 debate again?) LOL

Do appreciate your help!

• chefrobert
    14 years ago

@lborrill: A 2' single bulb is very insufficient. You'll need at least a 4' quadruple setup for adequate results. That's about 20,000 lumens, assuming the height of the lamp is within 12 inches of the plant tops. Put the light closer (up to 4-5 inches) when the plants mature.

Standard shop lights will grow seedlings, but will fail to support your mature tomato and pepper plants without a supplementation of direct sunlight. Let me know if you need anything else cleared up.

• lborrill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! My goal is to simply start seedlings until they can be transplanted outside. For that, do you think two 4' T-8's will be enough for two flats? Flats meaning the 1' X 2' seed starting flats. From the threads I poured through last night, I'd gone away thinking that would be enough.

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

300 FC is not enough. In the fringes of my grow area, I'm getting 1400 FC.

Can you find a cheap 2' light bar (like for over a medicine cabinet?) and then screw in some 23-watt CFL bulbs? I made one that uses 4 bulbs and it does a great job covering 600 sq. in.

Mike

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

In my experience...

You will have plenty of light for seedlings (2 flats) if you use two 4 ft/2 bulb fixtures (T12 or T8 either one). Two warm bulbs and two cool bulbs.

This has worked for me

Keriann~

• chefrobert
    14 years ago

@lborrill: I'm assuming you have twin, 4-ft. 34-watt shoplights at 58 lumens per watt?? So, about 4000 total lumens?? Yes, this is sufficient for growing seedlings in the 1x2' seed flats that will later be tranplanted outside.

• lborrill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for being so patient with the questions. Me and my pocket book really appreciate the help!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County