Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will these fluorescent lights work for a beginner?

Posted by AgtJenny24 7/NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 21:49

Hi, I don't want to spend too much on my first set up since I read I can use shop lights and fluorescent tubes... I saw these plant/aquarium ones that say for indoor plants and aquariums...

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Light-Bulbs-Tube-Fluorescent-Bulbs/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbm3z/R-100134615/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

Do you guys think 2 of these will work? Or do I really need a 40W one at least?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will these fluorescent lights work for a beginner?

I found a 40W one as well...

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZarcd/R-100117845/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=plant+lights&storeId=10051

o

That 20W is 600 lumens...you can get double that in a single $8 CFL. Two 40W seem decent (3200 lumens for $11). Enough to start some seeds. But there are more efficient setups available at Home Depot such as a T8 or T5 which generally gives you more lumens per watt. There is nothing particularly beneficial about an "aquarium" lamp -- just look for most lumens for the least cost.

o

According to this Seed FAQ on this forum, it says lights with warm spectrums would be beneficial in some bits, and these aquarium/plant ones seem to be the only ones with warm light... perhaps I can use one of these and put a different more efficient light on the second shop light socket?

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/seed/1998034312029084.html

o

I would say use daylight fluorescent bulbs (T8, 40W) or cool white or a combination of both in each fixture. I would not waste my money on specialty lights, especially since both give off a fairly wide spectrum that will support plant growth very well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here