Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when should I shut the fans off?

Posted by seafire1 z7 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 11, 09 at 22:14

At what stage of growth is it safe to discontinue the use of fans for circulation to ward off dampening off disease? How many weeks of growth?

Also, what is optimum temperature to grow seedlings in? Mostly I am growing Salvia's, Agaastache's and other flowering hummingbird plants for my garden and to sell thanks to losing my job and this lousy economy.

Thanks
Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when should I shut the fans off?

Fans aren't a fundamental requirement. I don't use them at all. So... whenever you want to.

o

I would say, leave them on. There are studies that show that anything that stresses the stems will cause stronger, more robust stems. One even showed that the best plants are produced on the aisles of a greenhouse because the caretakers brush the plants going by them. That's exactly what you want in seedlings. In my opinion, high light, low water, minimal temps and fans make great seedlings.
Rick

o

I agree. If you can always keep some good air flow around any indoor plant. The breeze is what makes them do the work to grow thicker stronger stems, and that makes for healthier plants because thicker stems can support more fluid movement.

If you're growing seedlings to transplant you need strong plants because the transition to outdoors is hard enough on them even if they're very strong. If their stems are weak they have a really hard time adapting.

Optimum temperature depends on the plants, the best thing to do is to look at the temperature range for each plant and try to find the coldest temperature they will all tolerate. Then maybe just a bit warmer than that. A few degrees above minimum, just so you can avoid getting too cold.

o

Internal air circulation is beneficial, for many reasons,
including inhibition of mold.

Depending on species, generally 70-75 F is optimal temp.
Relative humidity = 48-57

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here