Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes under lights

Posted by connie-k 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 22:52

I have blooms on several of my tomatoes that I started under lights.
Will these set tomatoes-Do I need to pollinate each blossom with a paint brush or will they pollinate them selves.
I do have a fan on them every day.
Thanks
Connie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes under lights

Some plants are self-pollinating; you'll have to do some research on your particular species. Otherwise, the fan should work. If you really want to make sure they pollinate, you can use a q-tip and dab the flower centers to other flower centers. However, the easiest method would just be to set the plant outside during daylight hours.

o

Are you keeping them inside or setting out as transplants?

Most people that I know pinch the blossoms back before transplanting, in the thought that the plant will grow stronger roots after transplanting. That way they will have better production through out the year, instead of ripening those first few blooms.

Also, if you aren't sure what kind you have; for most tomatoes, all you have to do is given them a little shake in late morning to pollinate them or if they are outside you can let the wind or bugs do it.

o

These are Jet Star Tomatoes. Very big and will put them out in the garden when frost danger passes. Most of my tomatoes will be the normal size for transplanting but I was hoping to hurry up some tomatoes by growing them inside and then putting them out later (just experimenting) I do have a fan on them at least 12 hrs daily.
Thanks everyone for the information

o

Which lighting fixture do you use? how is the par value?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here