Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Depth of grow-light fixtures

Posted by Stryver none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 23:25

Noob here... I wish to put a 4-bulb T5 fixture in a cabinet that can fit an 11" deep by 28 inch long fixture. The cabinet currently has 4 light america single T8 fixtures in it, and I cannot say enough horrible things about them. They started okay, but have died, and replacing bulbs is a pain, and fit tolerances are bad, etc....

Primary use is seed (herb, mostly basil) starting. Some houseplants that like a bit more light have visits to the light box as well. Once all the seeds are starting, it'll be the second stop for some Lantana cuttings.

I see a wide variety of light fixtures out there, but the dimensions on them seem to be iffy, at best. Most are 12 - 13 + inches. Sun Blaze 2x4 on Amazon lists something crazy like 6 inches, which I think is the width for their 2-bulb setup. The only fixtures I think I can reliably place at under 11 inches are fish-tank fixtures. I can figure out how to mount one of those to the top of my box, but I'd prefer something that will connect a bit easier.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Depth of grow-light fixtures

Pro light might have a 4 bulb that will fit but for certain you could fit 4-24 inch individual sunblaster T5ho lights in there. They plug into each other so you would only need one cord to the lights. Only issue would be that you have to individually mount them but they also come with mounting kits. So for 20 minutes of work it could be accomplished.

I have a few of their lamps and do like them.

Here is a link that might be useful: sunblaster site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here