Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saycats

Budget lights for Plumeria cuttings in PNW

Saycats
12 years ago

After finding my way over here from the Plumeria forum and doing some research, it seems like a compact fluorescent light setup might be the most practical for my small apartment/dorm, and my budget - I'll have 5 plumie cuttings that I'm going to be starting rooting this weekend, and I'm on a college budget, so I'm looking for the most economical, yet effective solution I can find. I wonder if one such lamp (a CFL with reflector fixture, or small shoplight with 2 bulbs) might be sufficient for all 5 if I group their pots together and place the lamp close to the tops? I do also have one of those clamp-on work spotlights that can take a small grow light bulb as well to supplement - I can try them in my window, but it doesn't seem like I get strong enough light, or strong light for enough of the day, for them to do well there (all windows are facing East).

I was also wondering if I need to really be so concerned about light before they've even rooted yet, or if they might do just fine with a heating mat and whatever light coming in from my window until I can afford some nicer lighting setup after a bit?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living