Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblitzfick

newbie trying to sow river birch

jblitzfick
16 years ago

hey guys - I was going to give some seed-starting a try(this weekend) - i have a general plan but wanted to run it by some more experienced seed-starters.

I got the seeds on the internet - I have stratified the seeds for approx 70 days(in damp peat, in the fridge) - i plan to plant 2 trays of them - i bought a warming mat and have some small flour. lites(f15t8/cool white) - my plans were to start them on a rack in the garage(in potting mix w/ some spaghum peat added) w/ the warming mat under them, and approx 3 of the 15 inch long flour lites above them. Sounds like i sound have saran wrap over them and remove it to mist them w/ water. On top of any general comments concerning my plan, could someone answer the following;

I'm guessing the bottom heat should only be on at nite when it dips below 65 degree's? if this is the case, could i run the lites and bottom heat from 7pm to 9am? would that work? Is it enough?

somewhere i read to put the seed on top of the potting mix and just cover lightly w/ sand? is this right?

does anyone know how long before they should sprout?

what about scratching the seed? will it help?

any help/comments are appreciated.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio