Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indoorgardengal

Did I Really Find CMH for Household Sockets???

indoorgardengal
13 years ago

Hello to all the lighting experts on this forum!

I have learned so much from you so far - Shrubs & Bulbs, Struwwelpeter, Zink, Lermer, and many more. Even when the discussions get heated and you start disagreeing with each other, it´s valuable to see the different experiences and opinions out there. I´ve certainly learned a TON as I´m sure many other lurkers out there.

I hope you can help me out with this one. I feel pretty comfortable about the differences between fluorescents, HIDs and LEDs. From what I can tell HIDs (HPS and MHs) are in the higher price ranges, requiring special fixtures and reflectors. I just assumed that the CMHs would be as well.

But low and behold, I have come across Ceramic Metal Halide bulbs that screw into regular sockets and seem to be pretty darn cheap and efficient. Initial lumens 5800, 70 watts, 3000K. This seems to be an extremely cheap and efficient (and less hassle) option than other grow lights. Is this too good to be true? Am I missing something here? After budgeting for all the fixtures, et al, required for fluoros and/or HIDs, do I really have this easy as heck option at my disposal for indoor growing? Here is the bulb I am talking about:

http://www.lightbulbmarket.com/product/270641_70-Watt-ED-17-3K-Coated-Philips-MasterColor-Ceramic-Metal-Halide-Lamp

From what I have read CMHs are actually a great grow light as well. AND it screws into my household sockets?? Seems too easy!

Please enlighten me :-)

Thanks in advance,

Indoorgardengal

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville