Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slow growth under lights..

Posted by joe_sc_garden 10a (My Page) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 13:53

I've started all sorts of vegetables / herbs under a pair of Hydrofarm 4 bulb T5 lights.. (See: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TJOGLE/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I potted everything in 2 inch Jiffy pots, with organic jiffy seed starting mix.. (I think its just basically peat moss/vermiculite)

Everything germinated perfectly fine with my heat pads set to 80.

The problem is, this was about 2 months ago.. and nothing is over 2 inches.

I had my lights about 1-3 inches away from the plants, for about 18 hours a day. I was originally bottom watering, heavily, because they'd dry out super fast with the lights being on for so long and so close.

One possible problem could have been that I kept my heat pads on 80, for about the last 45 days.. I turned it off, after reading you should probably turn them off after they've germinated.

I just bought some organic jobes vegetable fertilizer, and put a little bit on 50% of the seedlings.

Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong? Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slow growth under lights..

Except for leaving the heat mat on too long, it sounds like you did everything right to start with. However, the seedlings can't grow without nutrients and I think that may have been your biggest problem.

It may be too late to do anything with the seedlings at this stage, but you could try fertilizing now to see if they'll come out of it. Jobes Organic fertilizer does not contain a lot of nitrogen, so you could probably get by with using it at full strength. You don't have anything to lose at this stage anyway.

Art

o

Art, I actually just did a soil test on my plants outside which are also doing kinda poorly.. and my nitrogen level is basically non-existent.

I'm going to dilute some of the fertilizer and hope that things start improving.

o

Best of luck to you joe, hope your plants show improvement soon!

Art

o

They will be fine once they get some nitrogen to fix the chlorosis.

Just dont over do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here