Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Measuring Light

Posted by lucky123 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 14:12

I know, I should buy a meter but
Meanwhile I want to get a rough idea of what light intensity I have in an area. I tried the shadow on white paper. That works somewhat.

However, I placed a table lamp next to the plants. I turned on a 60 watt incandescent and it doen't increase the light/brightness in that area.

I put a 100 watt incandescent light in the same lamp and it does increase light/brightness.

For African violets, can I translate that test into some meaningful measure? Enough? Not enough?

I can use the plants as light meters. If they sunburn, too much light. If they get leggy, too little but that seems a very inefficient and slow way to go about it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Measuring Light

You could use the light meter in a camera to get a relative lumens comparison. Would be a cheap & effective way to do it, if you throw the camera on a tripod and check the f-stop or shutter speed with different lights

Keep in mind that measuring light brightness by eye or camera is a lumens measurement which does not directly translate to photosynthetic efficiency. For true horticultural evaluation you would need at least a PAR meter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here