Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
CFL odor

Posted by Jillybeans none (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 15:19

Hello

I just got a CFL bulb - EIKO SP23/65K.

This is my first CFL bulb so don't know much about them.

The problem is when turned on it gives off a metallic odor. Not a burning smell. Not noticeable far away, but you can smell it a couple of feet away.

I have it plugged into a 60 watt lamp base. The bulb is 23 watt. Thought it was the metal from my lamp, but I switched the bulb into a new lamp. Still gives off same odor.

Is the odor from these bulbs normal?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: CFL odor

Jillybeans,

I don't think the odor is normal. CFL bulbs have a built-in electronic ballast (in the base). I've heard that the ballast can put out a strange (musty) odor when it's going bad. I realize that your bulb is new but it's possible that you could have gotten a faulty one. I'd take it back and get a different bulb. Click the link below to read about a ballast failure in a CFL bulb.

Art

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballast Failure


 o
RE: CFL odor

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bubJX-m_HSs

It shows the insides of a CFL and what goes bad and causes odors.

Here is a link that might be useful: CFL Odor Video Link


 o
RE: CFL odor

Ouch!

Been reading up on CFL bulbs. Hopefully nothing like that will happen.

The odor has died down a bit. Might have been manufacturing chemicals burning off. But after read more into these bulbs and watching videos, kinda makes me paranoid.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here