Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahji_gw

Using a regular compact fluorescent bulb on tomato seedlings?

sarahji
14 years ago

Hi there,

I'm growing tomatoes this year on a budget, and I've got three seedlings in cell packs that I'm about to repot (they've got some true leaves now).

I don't want to buy a shop light, and have to worry about how and where to hang it in my apartment. Instead, I've just been pointing my ordinary desk light with bendable arm so the compact fluorescent bulb is about 2" from the seedlings.

Is this doing any good? Or do I have to use a special type of fluorescent bulb for tomatoes? And if so, is there one that comes in an ordinary-size bulb I can just screw into a lamp?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (7)

• Karen Pease
    14 years ago

One CFL won't support many seedlings at all, but yes, it can work if you get it close enough.

Do the math, though, and consider how much power you'll be using versus how much the fixture would cost.

• sarahji
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks karenrei,

Since I only have three seedlings, perhaps it'll be adequate for now.

I didn't realize the shop lights used less power. I thought people just used them because they had a broader spectrum of light. Good to know.

• www8in4dave
    14 years ago

I do believe it will work, I have planted some seeds outside and the ones by the lil solar light are coming up , and thats just a lil solar light. I think your fine :)

• Karen Pease
    14 years ago

I didn't realize the shop lights used less power.

It depends on the bulb type, but yes, they're generally a little more efficient. But the real point I was trying to make is that since most of the money in the long run goes toward paying for electricity, being a stickler over the upfront costs doesn't make much sense. :)

• sarahji
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the responses!

The electricity thing actually doesn't exactly affect me, because my utilities are included in my rent (not that I'm all about wasting energy)! :)

• Karen Pease
    14 years ago

Ooh! As far as growing plants goes, lucky you! :)

• keshka
    14 years ago

See thats what I have is clip on bendable office lamps, ones a 60 watt and the other takes only 25 watt, the caution shows a pic of the cone/flood light shape bulb, but if I could replace it with a cool white and put it over my seed to help out the 60 watt, well cool.

If your home all day or even if your not, many people leave 1-3 lights on in their house, for security and visibility. Why not hang a plant, that grows food from the cieling or wall and clamp a light to it, and make if the florescent bulbs, because that just saves electricity and money and replacement bulbs and all that. I been running florescent s for years, when we moved this year got a few cool lights since the are more blue and was liking them and my messed up vision was able to see more clearly with those bulbs. So just put a cool in the 60 watt in to replace plant bulb, lets see if it can resuscitate my tomato seedlings leaves (crossing fingers)

I was totally with you, why not grow functional plants for in home decoration.

If your home, why not hang in rooms your in all the time, cool white puts off a lot of clear light. one 60watt bulb is fine during day for normal tasks, 2 two for more detail, for for night time detail tasks, in a 1000 square foot room, at least that's with me and my husband. If this was before my eyesight went goofy from my disease, I would only need one at night for detailed tasks.

ok off I go again.

goood luck I am trying this myself till I can try an alternative, but even with alternative, if this works with still keep a few hangers around the house, just makes sense!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus