Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peas dying

Posted by screefer Alberta,Canada (My Page) on
Sat, May 8, 04 at 21:46

I'm growing under 4 tubes and untill a few days ago my peas were doing fine. Now they have started dying from the bottom up any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peas dying

How old are they? If they are very young, a fungus could be causing damping off. Running an oscillating fan, sterile seed-starting mix, adequate drainage, bottom watering, and not overwatering can help prevent this.

Underwatering could also be a cause. Sometimes the soil will dry out very fast under lights and cause the plants to shrivel up.

If the plants are bigger, potting them up to a larger pot may help.

Are they all doing this, or is there any pattern to it? I had the slightest slant in my table that caused one side to get underwatered and another slightly warped container that shorted the plants in the middle.

Do any of the above sound like possibilities? If not, post more details and someone may have an idea.

o
RE: peas dying - or cabbage

If they shrivel from the bottom up, and the stem turns dark at that point, from my reading, this sounds like the dreaded "damping off". But if the stems shrivel somewhere towards the top of the stalk, doing so along some length, without any color change, does this suggest the same "problem", or something else?

In my case it's cabbage plants that have shriveled, some at the bottom, and now a few days later, a few others shriveling towards the top, just below the leaves.

But others planted at the same time and in pretty much the exact same conditions, are doing just fine so far.

Thanks,
Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here