Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with light bulb Question

Posted by teisa 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 22:54

I have added the 6500k CF (23 watt) bulbs in my sunroom and I've seen growth on my plants I normally wouldn't have had during winter. Now my mother grows violets and uses a 60 watt grow bulb. Which bulb is better for growth?

I'm definately no expert on the terminology but I think the cf would do a better job. Can anyone else offer advice on what to use?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with light bulb Question

The 23 watt CFL puts out about 1600 lumen were as the 60 watt puts out about 650 lumens. The 60 watt bulb puts out 60 watts of heat where about 1 watt of that heat is radiated in the visible light spectrum. The CFL puts out 23 watts of heat where about 3 watts are in the visible light spectrum. If you need heat more that visible light then the 60 wins, but if you need light and at the blue end of the spectrum the CFL beats the pants off the 60 watt incandescent grow lamp. In almost any application the CFL wins by a long shot
Click on any picture to open my photo albums to see all

new taller box 3.5 ft tall photo IMG_3615_1_zpse9a31009.jpg
4 ft by 4 ftby 3.5 ft with 12 CFL's at 13 watts each containing peppers in 5 gallon buckets.

KUMQUAT GROWER COMPONENTS--POTTED TREE TO LEFT--ROOT VACUUM CHAMBER TO RIGHT USES VACUUM CLEANER--- -  TREE GET PLACED IN STEEL CAN AND VACUUM HOSE GOES IN HOLE IN LOWER CAN photo IMG_3594_1_zps8cf4e968.jpg
single 13 watt 6500 K CFL in bucket that tree fits into.

4)---16 brocoli plant in 1 gal. cans under 8 lights of 650 lumens, Above, Meiwa kumquat tree's roots are warmed by lights to 85 deg. photo IMG_3691_zpsd744827b.jpg
Broccoli plant under 8 CFL bulbs providing heat for the tree's root and light for the broccoli, If 60 wat grow lights had been used the plant would scorch before they would get enough light to grow well.

The link below gives acces to the light grown starts go

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/library/five-four-thirteen

o
RE: Help with light bulb Question

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain!!! Plus I loved seeing your pictures, they gave me some great ideas!! I knew the 23 cfl was better but I couldn't find the info on the Internet to explain to mom why it was more efficient. This will be perfect for showing her why she is wasting her money buying those 60 watt (grow bulbs) at Walmart!! I really appreciate you taking your time!! I loved how you have broccoli growing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here