Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Rookie with Questions...

Posted by wmease Idaho (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 23:29

Just trying this year to start seedlings using lights.

I bought a light system from Gurneys and the marigolds I'm starting popped up right away.

Question? Do I leave them under the light 24/7? They are under a cover should I leave that on until they are pressing up against it?

I also went to Home Depot and bought a 4' light and put one soft light bulb that is 32 watts, 850 lumen I also put in the second bulb which is a "Natural Sunshine" 5000K Color Scale. How did I do? Will this work to germinate my other flower and vegie seeds?

I see some comments on using a fan. Why should I use one?

I appreciate anyone helping this rookie out...thanks in advance...WM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Rookie with Questions...

I use all 5000k. Take the cover off as soon as they sprout. Use a fan to help the plants get a sturdy stem and ward off fungus. No need for lights 24/7. 16 hours tops.

o
RE: A Rookie with Questions...

You can actually put your seedlings under lights for 18 hours maximum and use white lights such as fluorescent or incandescent lights as much as possible...I also agree with taz6122 that the fans will help your plants develop sturdy stems..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here